Wikimedia Technical Committee/Minutes
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on any information on this page.
This is the cover page for the archive of TechCom meeting minutes. You can subscribe to the minutes via the TechCom Radar newsletter, or follow the TechCom Radar mails on Wikitech-l.
We held several architecture meetings to review Requests for Comment on IRC, and continued discussion and implementation of work begun at the architecture summit in January. We also worked on improvements to the architecture guidelines and on a draft of performance guidelines for developers.
We held four RfC review meetings on IRC:
- on passwords, TitleValue, and inline diffs
- on configuration, URL shortener, Assert, and the Linker refactor
- on MVC framework and structured logging
- on allowing styling in templates and a Minifier.
We held several Request for Comment review meetings in IRC:
- on scoped language converter & square bounding boxes;
- to get quick next actions & validity checks on multiple RfCs;
- on reducing image quality for mobile;
- on associated namespaces;
- on MediaWiki libraries and third-party components.
Also, we worked on improving security, architecture, and performance guidelines for developers. We aim to have MediaWiki performance guidelines ready to approve at the Zürich hackathon in mid-May.
Engineers discussed the Performance guidelines at the Zürich Hackathon 2014. They also had IRC discussions of several requests for comment and documents:
- 2014-05-14 — Discussion of Performance guidelines draft
- 2014-05-21 — Discussion of Typesafe enums and Square bounding boxes
- 2014-05-30 — Discussion of Extension registration
- 2014-06-02 — Discussion of Grid system.
Developers had several meetings on IRC about architectural issues or Requests for comment:
- 2014-06-02 — Discussion of Requests for comment/Grid system;
- 2014-06-11 — Discussion of several RfCs (lightning round);
- 2014-06-13 — Discussion of security guidelines draft;
- 2014-06-20 — Discussion of revamping MediaWiki's skin systems: Trevor Parscal's "Redo skin framework" and Bartosz Dziewoński's "Separating skins from core MediaWiki" work;
- 2014-06-25 — Discussion of front-end and UX standardization.
Developers finished the security architecture guidelines, and discussed several requests for comment in online architecture meetings:
- 2014-07-10 — Frontend standardization discussion focusing on Requests for comment/Redo skin framework;
- 2014-07-16 — RfC discussion focusing on Requests for comment/Vertical writing support;
- 2014-07-23 — RfC discussion focusing on Requests for comment/Composer managed libraries for use on WMF cluster, in which the architecture committee approved the RfC;
- 2014-07-30 — RfC discussion focusing on Requests for comment/CentralNotice Caching Overhaul - Frontend Proxy.