People present: Daniel, Gabriel, S, Kevin Smith, Tim
Minutes from last week: Architecture committee/2015-05-06
Pending action itemsEdit
- Brion: conclude phab:T590 "RfC: Graph"
- Gabriel and Brion to continue work on http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/ArchitectureCommittee-Priorities
- Gabriel to create task for revision-related storage issues (related to phab:T96384, RB, others)
- Continue discussion on governance / architectural leadership + vision via mail
RFCs to triageEdit
IRC meeting schedulingEdit
- Improving extension management phab:T88596
Next week (in Lyon)Edit
- Automatically tag edits that make a redirect, that converts a redirected page to a normal page, moves across namespaces and others phab:T73236
Architecture meeting updateEdit
- Gabriel: gave update on arch meeting yesterday, see phab:T96903
- priority is content
- The usual issue: if we move to SOA, what happens to PHP-only shared hosting? Daniel: isolated APIs and continue a duplicated PHP implementation. Gabriel: or move to next-generation containers.
- We're already there for VisualEditor (requires Parsoid), but it's optional. As we build new features and front-ends on top of HTML storage...
- Daniel: abstraction layer for content, need to Associate multiple content with one revision. How to present this.
- Brion had idea of representing multimedia with a tag extension.
- Gabriel: Challenge of caches. e.g. Lead images for mobile is going to be stored in RESTBase, graphoid data, ...
Old (2007) demo for XSLT based skinning, assembling wiki pages on the client: http://brightbyte.de/page/Client-side_skins_with_XSLT
Lyon hackathon and ArchComEdit
Daniel: two sessions + Wikidata session. From phab:tag/hackathon-lyon-2015/ :
- Governance: phab:T89907 "Discuss and approve a MediaWiki developer community governance model at Lyon hackathon"
- Priorities: phab:T91744 "Have an architecture guidelines & roadmap session at the Lyon hackathon". But phab:T96903 is a long list.
- Daniel: this is a hackathon, not an Architectural Summit.
- Gabriel: * what is concrete?
- Tim: what is going to happen in the next 6 months or year?
- Maybe concrete session on how the content clients above will be using RESTBase
- Tim: Metadata storage, how to attach metadata to revisions, e.g. mobile lead images
- Daniel: agree on direction if not on the goal.
- plus Wikidata "bitching session" phab:T92505
(Wikimedia Hackathon 2015 is empty)
Discussion for Hackathon:
- generic mechanism / infrastructure for storing multiple revision-associated kinds of content
- HTML5 content model, widgets, structured data extraction and * presentation
Next week May 20: ArchCom meeting focus on hackathon, no public IRC meeting.
Pick an RfC for discussion at hackathon?, e.g. phab:T73236
Gabriel: Or draft a problem description for discussion.
New action itemsEdit
S to bulk-edit tasks in phab:tag/archcom/ that should be in MediaWiki-RfCs and not on this board.