Google Summer of Code/2014
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on any information on this page.
Wikimedia served a mentoring organization for the Google Summer of Code in 2014.
See also the parallel program FOSS Outreach Program for Women/Round 8.
For more detail, check the official timeline.
- 24 February: List of accepted mentoring organizations published
- 11 March: Wikimedia IRC meeting (logs)
- 21 March: Student application deadline
- 9 April: Slot allocations published to mentoring organizations
- 21 April: Accepted student proposals announced
- 19 May: Official start.
- 20 May: GSoC & OPW IRC meeting (logs)
- 23-27 June: Mid term evaluations by students and mentors.
- 18 August: Firm 'pencils down' date.
- 19 August: GSoC & FOSS OPW wrap-up meeting on IRC; #wikimedia-office @ 3pm UTC (logs)
- 18-22 August: Final evaluations by students, mentors, and organization administrators.
- 22 August: Final evaluation deadline
- 25 & 26 October: Mentor Summit at Google
Reporting progress is essential in free software projects. Good reports are concise, they highlight relevant progress/blockers, and they link to bug reports, patches, or other interesting pages.
Participants are required to share Updates about their projects:
- initial announcement on Wikitech-l
- initial microtasks completed
- community bonding report by 25 May including links to
- goals for the first half of the internship
- communication plan
- lessons learned since 21 April
- first weekly report by 30 May
- project wrap-up post by 20 August