The Wikimedia Foundation Product department staff and contractors build, improve, and maintain the software features of Wikimedia sites. It is one of the eight Wikimedia Foundation departments and collaborates closely with the Technology department.
On these pages you can read about our principles and best practices for our work:
- Inclusive Product Development – documenting how we are guided by the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Wikimedia Product Guidance – documenting how we work with the Wikimedia communities.
Structure of the department
Within the Product department, we have two types of teams:
- Feature teams are the primary unit of work for building products. Some of them are put into groups to ensure closer work.
- Functional teams include the people who provide services, such as management, analytics, or community relations, to the feature teams.
|Team name||Focus||Point of contact||Current project(s)|
|Anti-Harassment Tools||Technical work in support of the Anti-Harassment Program.||Niharika Kohli||IP Masking|
|Campaigns||Experience of Wikimedia campaigns.||Ilana Fried||Registration|
|Community Tech||Community Wishlist Survey. They also build and improve curation and moderation tools for experienced users, supports bot operators, and more.||Natalia Rodriguez||Real Time Preview for Wikitext|
|Generate Audio for IPA|
|Moderator Tools||Content moderation tool needs, focusing on the needs of medium-sized Wikimedia projects.||Sam Walton||Content moderation on mobile web|
|Trust and Safety Tools||Technical work in support of the Trust and Safety team.||Madalina Ana||Safety Survey|
|Private Incident Reporting System (PIRS)|
|Editing||Improving the core editing tools so that volunteers are able to successfully start and continue contributing to Wikimedia projects.||Peter Pelberg||Talk Pages Project|
|Growth||A set of features to encourage newcomers to make edits, and improve new editor retention.||Kirsten Stoller||Mentorship|
|Add a link|
|Add an image|
|Web||Reading experiences on the web for the Wikimedia projects.||Olga Vasileva||Desktop Improvements|
|Inuka||Experiences to Wikipedia readers in emerging markets, driving increased adoption and retention of Wikipedia in areas where internet use is rapidly growing.||Purity Waigi||Wikistories|
|Wikipedia for KaiOS|
|Language||Internationalization and localization tools for Wikimedia sites on web and mobile.||Pau Giner||Content and Section translation|
|Android||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Jazmin Tanner||Communication improvements|
|iOS||Experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content.||Jazmin Tanner||Codebase|
|Abstract Wikipedia||A new type of wiki where community-written software functions can transform language-independent Wikidata structured data into Wikipedia-like prose articles.||Denny Vrandečić||Wikifunctions|
|Content Transform||Content formats (such as wikitext and HTML) and transformations between them.||Sérgio Lopes||Code repositories|
|Design Systems||Build out the new Codex component library and improve front-end infrastructure in MediaWiki so that teams can build modern user interfaces more easily and consistently.||Chris Ciufo||Codex component library|
|Modern user interfaces for all users|
|Search||Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the various Search features and APIs for MediaWiki.||Mike Pham||Wikidata query service|
|API:Search and discovery|
|Structured Data||Content on wikitext pages structured in a way that will be machine-recognizable and -relatable, to make reading, editing, and searching easier and more accessible.||Alexandra Ugolnikova||Image Suggestions|
|Platform Value Streams|
|API Platform||Facilitates self-service application development using Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).||Virginia Poundstone||API Gateway|
|Universal API Management|
|Data Platform||Serves data producers and data consumers.||Luke Bowmaker||Scheduled Dataset Creation|
|Event Driven Dataset Creation|
|Expedition||Applying basic MVC conception to separate concerns and drive discussion of refactoring.||Expedition|
|Metrics Platform||A suite of services, standard libraries, and APIs for producing and consuming data of all kinds from Wikimedia Foundation products.||Metrics Platform|
|Data Engineering||Build out and maintain the self service components that make up the Shared Data Platform.||Data Pipelines as a Service|
|Kubernetes Data Infrastructure|
- Community Relations Specialists – focus on collaboration and communication with communities about product development, user-facing changes, and roll-outs.
- Design – focus on user experience design and research, information architecture, human-computer interaction, visual design, and usability experience.
- Engineering Management – focus on technical practices and engineering mentorship.
- Product Analytics – deliver the usage statistics to support informed decision-making.
- Product Management – define what will be built and set the strategy for the problems the team focuses on.
- Program Management and Technical Program Management – focus on team practices, facilitate team meetings and communication between the teams.
- Selena Deckelmann: Chief Product and Technology Officer
- Desiree Abad: Director, Product Platform
- Adam Baso: Director, Engineering
- Runa Bhattacharjee: Director, Engineering
- Amanda Bittaker: Senior Manager, Program Management
- Sai Suman Cherukuwada: Director, Engineering
- Erica Litrenta: Senior Manager, Community Relations
- Marshall Miller: Director of Product, Core Experiences
- Joshua Minor: Group Product Manager
- Margeigh Novotny: Vice President, Product Design
- Denny Vrandečić: Head of Special Projects
- Kate Zimmerman: Director, Data Science