Content Transform Team
This page is currently a draft.
The Content Transform team is responsible for maintaining the wikitext parsing products and Maps, among other things.
Content Transform Team (Content Transformers)
Build and maintain transformations of wiki content between different formats
In short, the Content Transform Team deals with content formats and transformations between them.
A bit more specifically,
- We (aim to) provide specifications and guidance for wiki content formats
- We develop transformations between content formats
- We build and maintain content rendering and content transformation infrastructure
- We build tooling to verify content integrity and content migration
Prior to May 2015, the erstwhile mediawiki core team was responsible for the mediawiki core PHP parser and the Parsoid team was responsible for Parsoid. Since May 2015, the erstwhile Parsoid team was rebranded as the Parsing team and the core PHP parser and Parsoid were brought under the purview of the Parsing team - this coincided with Tim Starling joining the group. Kunal joined the team in April 2016. As of April 2017, Tim and Kunal became part of the Mediawiki Platform team. In August of 2021, the Parsing team welcomed members of Maps and Product Infrastructure and became the Content Transform Team.
For updates and calls to action, please see and bookmark Parsing/Get involved. We will be using that space to push out community notifications around our work.
Engaging with the Content Transform TeamEdit
Anyone outside of the Wikimedia Foundation can get our attention by opening a ticket in Phabricator tagged with Content-Transform-Team. This will make the ticket visible to the team at their weekly triage meeting, where the ticket will be given one of the following dispositions:
- It may be moved to another project the Content Transform Team is responsible for.
- It may be moved to the "Later" column on the Content-Transform-Team board, if it is an issue the team is not ready to deal with yet.
- It may have the Content-Transform-Team tag removed, if the team disagrees that the ticket falls under the projects they are responsible for.
Slack (Wikimedia Foundation Internal Only)Edit
Wikimedia Foundation personnel can find us on Slack at #content-transformers.
- Parsoid (both JS & PHP versions)
- Node.js libraries that Parsoid depends on
- domino HTML5 parser and DOM
- prfun promises library
- wikipeg PEG parser (previously a fork of pegjs)
- RemexHtml HTML5 parser
- MediaWiki Extensions
- ParsoidBatchAPI (this will be retired and undeployed from the Wikimedia cluster now that Parsoid/JS is going to be decomissioned)
- ParserMigration (this is not currently deployed to the Wikimedia cluster)
- QA tools
- Maps stack and associated extensions
- Content services that sit on top of Parsoid to serve mobile apps
- The Long And Winding Road To Making Parsoid The Default MediaWiki Project: Tech talk from February 2019 (Video, Slides).
- Wikitext, Upcoming changes, Available tools, How you can help?, a presentation by Subbu Sastry, Wikimania Montreal, August 2017.
- Special:PrefixIndex/Content Transform Team: Content Transform Team-related pages on this wiki