Parsoid allows an editor to use MediaWiki extensions such as VisualEditor.
Parsoid is an application which can translate back and forth, at runtime, between MediaWiki's wikitext syntax and an equivalent HTML/RDFa document model with enhanced support for automated processing and rich editing.
On Wikimedia wikis, for several applications, Parsoid is currently proxied behind RESTBase, which stores the HTML translated by Parsoid.
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/wikimedia/parsoid
If you use the MediaWiki-Vagrant development environment using a virtual machine, you can simply add the role
visualeditor to it and it will set up a working Parsoid along with Extension:VisualEditor.
Running the testsEdit
To run all parser tests and mocha tests:
parserTests has quite a few options now which can be listed using
node parserTests --help.
Converting simple wikitextEdit
You can convert simple wikitext snippets from the command line using the
parse.js script in the bin/ directory:
echo 'Foo' | node parse
The parse script has a lot of options.
node parse --help gives you information about this.
In Ubuntu 13 and 14,
node has been renamed to
nodejs. There, either type
nodejs or create a symbolic link (or equivalent).
Debugging Parsoid (for developers)Edit
See Parsoid/Debugging for debugging tips.
- /Internals: documentation about Parsoid internals with links to other details.
- Parsoid deployment agenda on Wikimedia cluster (code normally deployed every Monday and Wednesday between 1pm - 1:30pm PST)
- /Round-trip testing: The round-trip testing setup we are using to test the wikitext -> HTML DOM -> wikitext round-trip on actual Wikipedia content.
- /Visual Diffs Testing: Info about visual diff testing for comparing Parsoid's html rendering with php parser's html rendering + a testreduce setup for doing mass visual diff tests.
- /limitations: Limitations in Parsoid, mainly contrived templating (ab)uses that don't matter in practice. Could be extended to be similar to the preprocessor upgrade notes (Might need updating)
- /Bibliography: Bibliography of related literature
Links for Parsoid developersEdit
- See Parsoid/Debugging for debugging tips.
- Upgrading or adding packages to Parsoid
- See these instructions for syncing Parsoid's copy of parser tests to/from core
- Parsoid has a limited library interface for invoking it programatically.
Links for Parsoid deployers (to the Wikimedia cluster)Edit
- RT testing commits (useful to check regressions and fixes)
- Deployment instructions for Parsoid
- Kibana dashboard
- Grafana dashboard for wt2html metrics
- Grafana dashboard for html2wt metrics
- Grafana dashboard for non-200 responses
- Prometheus breakdown for the Parsoid cluster on eqiad
- Prometheus breakdown for the Parsoid cluster on codfw
- Jenkins Job Builder docs for updating jenkins jobs
- RESTBase: a caching / storing API proxy for page HTML translated by Parsoid
- Quarterly review meetings of the Parsoid team: April 2015, January 2015 (earlier)
- Future/Parser plan: Early (now relatively old) design ideas and issues
- Special:PrefixIndex/Parsoid/: Parsoid-related pages on this wiki
- parsoid-jsapi: a high-level interface for extraction and transformation of wikitext, similar to the mwparserfromhell API.
- Alternative parsers
If you need help or have questions/feedback, you can contact us in the wikitext-l mailing list. If all that fails, you can also contact us by email at parsing-team at the wikimedia.org domain.or
|Parsoid is maintained by the Readers Team (Parsing Team).