Release status: stable
|Snapshots releases along with MediaWiki. Master is not backwards compatible.
|GNU General Public License 2.0 or later
|723 (Ranked 1st)
|Public wikis using
|14,010 (Ranked 2nd)
|Public wikis using as default skin
|Translate the Vector skin if it is available at translatewiki.net
|Open tasks · Report a bug
In recent years the skin has undergone a number of technical changes, e.g. the switch to Mustache to support the construction of Skin:Vector/2022 as part of the work done by the Reading/Web/Desktop Improvements initiative.
- If using Vagrant, install with
vagrant roles enable vector -p
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php file:
wfLoadSkin( 'Vector' );
- Готово - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed.
Setting the default skin to Vector
A default skin should be set for new users of a wiki by setting the variable
LocalSettings.php to the lowercase skin name specified in the skin file:
$wgDefaultSkin = 'vector'; // "Legacy" Vector (2010)
$wgDefaultSkin = 'vector-2022'; // New Vector (2022)
Watch and unwatch as an icon rather than a link.
- Supported values:
true— use an icon watch/unwatch button
false— use watch/unwatch text link
$wgVectorUseIconWatch = true;
1.26 – 1.35
Experimental setting to make Vector a responsive skin that adapts to mobile phones.
false by default.
- Supported values:
true— Use responsiveness to improve usability in narrow viewports
false— No responsiveness
1.30 – 1.35
Logo used in print styles.
'height' (in pixels).
Note that this solution only works correctly if the image pointed to by
'url' is an SVG that does not specify width and height attributes, or its width and height match the corresponding variables below.
Alternatively, a PNG or other type of image can be used, but its dimensions also need to match the corresponding variable below.
That in turn may result in blurry images, though.
For MediaWiki 1.36 and higher, the print logo will simply be set from Manual:$wgLogos.
$wgVectorPrintLogo = [
'url' => 'https://en.wikipedia.org/static/images/mobile/copyright/wikipedia-wordmark-en.svg',
'width' => 174,
'height' => 27
- Basic features of the Vector skin
- Reduced clutter, primarily by reducing the number of lines on screen
- More prominent placement of the search portal
- Visual separation of the content-action and namespace links, the former of which being divided into view tabs and action menu items
- Automatic increase/decrease of margins throughout the user interface based on browser size
- Use of a star icon for watch and unwatch actions
- Added features of the Vector extension (some of these features have later been merged into the Vector skin or into the MediaWiki Core or have been removed)
- Simplified search portal, including suggestions
- Collapsible navigation portals
- Alert when leaving an edit page without saving
- Automatic hiding of tabs that do not fit on screen
- Experimental Vector extension features
- Simplified footer content
- Search box expands on focus
- Section edit links are moved to be directly next to heading instead of on the right, and use an icon
- CollapsibleNav support via CollapsibleVector extension
The collapsible navigation portals are now provided by the CollapsibleVector extension which will have to be installed additionally.
Smartphone and tablet design
Vector will work on many mobile devices, but it is not fully optimized for mobile devices. This latest version of Vector, Vector 2022, has better support for mobile devices.
History of the skin
Vector was created in 2009 as part of the work done by the Wikipedia Usability Initiative. It became MediaWiki's default skin in 2010 (MediaWiki 1.17, git #2833b07a), succeeding Skin:MonoBook. In 2022, as part of the MediaWiki 1.38 release, it was updated as part of the work done by the Reading/Web/Desktop Improvements initiative.
Vector provides a number of usability improvements over its predecessor MonoBook.
It was the first skin to separate the flat level
content_actions into the categorized
At the beginning, the basic functionality was included in the core skin, while some of Vector's special features were handled by a separate extension, Extension:Vector. In MediaWiki 1.22, the extension was merged into the skin.
Dark mode customizations
A dark color scheme can be applied to Vector using CSS, for example with user styles,  which are enabled by default. Dark mode derivatives of the Vector skin, such as Skin:DarkVector, can be loaded into a wiki as a separate option.
Note all of these are supported by third parties, not the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Skin:Vector/2022 – The 2022 version of Vector
- Skin:DarkVector – Dark theme of the same skin
- Skin:Vector/VectorBook.css – CSS code to get the book background image from Skin:MonoBook in this skin.
- Skin:Vector/monobook-replica.css – An experiment to make Vector appear as similar to MonoBook as possible using CSS code applied on top of it.
- Skin:Vector/Customize – How to Customize appearance and add some custom HTML code in different places.
New Vector skin in 1.38+
|This skin is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the skin is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this skin's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the skins installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.
|This skin is included in the following wiki farms/hosts and/or packages: