|This page contains release notes for a legacy version of MediaWiki.|
MediaWiki 1.27 is a legacy release of MediaWiki.
Consult the RELEASE NOTES file for the full list of changes.
It was deployed on Wikimedia Foundation wikis through incremental "1.27.0-wmf.NN" branches from 29 September 2015 to March 2016 (see details of each branch).
The 1.27.0 stable release came out on 28 June 2016, and will be a Long Term Support release (LTS) which will be supported for three years.
Download the latest snapshot or checkout the
REL1_27 branch in Git to follow this release.
InstantCommons made easier and cheaperEdit
InstantCommons will now truly work out of the box, as long as your users can connect to upload.wikimedia.org: thumbnails will be served from that domain instead of requiring local generation (gerrit:251556).
More documentation translationEdit
Works continues on the migration to the Translate extension, now used by about 3000 pages. The size of translations text increased by various megabytes. Thanks go to our tireless translation administrators and translators but also to Google Code-in 2015 students, in particular IoannisKydonis who migrated thousands of translations including the entire Manual:FAQ.
Upgrade notices for MediaWiki administratorsEdit
- MediaWiki now requires at least PHP 5.5.9. This corresponds with HHVM 3.1.
- The mbstring PHP extension is now required.
- If the
mcryptPHP extensions are both unavailable, secure session storage (used for login) will raise an exception. This exception may be bypassed by setting
$wgSessionInsecureSecrets = true;. Note that this bypass is not recommended. It is insecure. You should not use it.
- After doing the upgrade, many users have problems with pages, which do not appear in their categories although they in fact are categorized correctly. In many cases this is a problem with the job queue. The issue people usually have is that pages do not (in fact: not immediately) appear inside their categories. Reasons may be different: It is possible that the job queue is not working correctly anymore. Please read $wgRunJobsAsync and follow the advice given there in order to solve this issue.
- The RandomRootPage extension has been merged into MediaWiki core. If you have it installed, you should uninstall it.
- The ApiSandbox extension has been merged into MediaWiki core. If you have it installed, you should uninstall it.
$wgSessionsInObjectCacheis deprecated and always true, and thus sessions are no longer stored using PHP's session handling (e.g.
session.save_path). If you see issues with loss of session data while logging in, ensure you have a persistent shared cache configured for session storage in
- AuthManager. If you're writing a new extension, you should definitely follow Manual:SessionManager and AuthManager and then upgrade to 1.27 to use it. If you are making sure an existing extension is compatible with 1.27, see the updating tips.
The dates for point releases for 1.27 were as follows:
- Gerrit change 266931