|Minerva Neue (Minerva)
Release status: stable
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the Minerva Neue skin if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix;|
|Issues:||Open tasks · Report a bug|
Minerva is the skin that serves mobile traffic for Wikimedia projects across the world. Compared to other skins e.g. Vector it provides a much more simplistic user interface and is much more aggressive about optimising for performance so that it can cater for mobile users.
It is optimised for use with MobileFrontend as the
wgMFDefaultSkinClass but at the time of writing this is a soft dependency and it will function without the extension installed.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadSkin( 'MinervaNeue' ); $wgDefaultSkin = 'minerva';
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing skins using
wfLoadSkin(), since MediaWiki 1.25. If you need to install this skin in earlier versions, instead of
wfLoadSkin( 'MinervaNeue' );, you need to use:
(To run a skin on an earlier release, you may need to download the version of it tagged for that release from Special:SkinDistributor.)
- Note: Setting
$wgDefaultSkin = 'minerva'will make Minerva your default skin even in Desktop view. Ignore this line and instead use
$wgMFDefaultSkinClass = "SkinMinerva";if you want only MobileFrontend to use the Minerva skin.
Make sure to call wfLoadSkin after wfLoadExtension.
With MobileFrontend integrated the Minerva experience will be enhanced to include various other features including:
- Red link edit confirmation
- Reference popup drawer
- An enhanced search
- Better integration on mobile with many popular Wikipedia-style templates.
To benefit from these:
- Download and install the MobileFrontend extension.
Certain URLs in the main menu can be tweaked. These include:
- Random (via editing MediaWiki:Randompage-url)
- Portal URL (of Advanced editing mode via MediaWiki:Portal-url)
Certain menu items will be enabled automatically when the relevant extension is added.
- Nearby (provided by Extension:MobileFrontend).
Desktop vs mobile modes
When operating in mobile mode the following features are available:
- Sections can be collapsed and expanded
- The menu contains different options e.g Special:Preferences is available on desktop
- MediaWiki:Mobile.css (for mobile mode) or MediaWiki:Common.css (for desktop mode) will be loaded.
- Various pages are optimised for mobile e.g. Special:Watchlist (compare desktop vs mobile)
The desktop mode of the site is experimental. If you see a bug, patches are appreciated.
When operating in desktop mode there are various issues that we are working towards fixing. Your patches and help are welcomed.
Questions and answers
If you have a question not answered by the page - please feel free to use the talk page to raise them.
What do I get when I install MobileFrontend?
Minerva works without MobileFrontend but installing MobileFrontend will provide several enhancements - notably reference and red link pop up drawers, a mobile optimised search and a mobile optimised custom editor. These optimizations will apply to the desktop and mobile version. Currently it is not possible to disable the mobile view link but patches to that effect will gladly be accepted!
|This skin is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the skin is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this skin's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the skins installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|