For a general overview of Wikimedia related mobile applications, see m:Wikimedia Apps instead!
For general questions about the team's Wikipedia apps, see:
Why make apps?
* Check out our initial blog post to see more of our reasoning for releasing apps.
What is the difference between the apps and the mobile web version of Wikipedia?
The Wikipedia apps provide an optimized and streamlined experience for searching and reading Wikipedia content. Being native apps, they allow articles to load faster, and with less data usage. They also delivers a more responsive interface that is more consistent with other apps that you love. They add features that are not available (or not possible) in the web version of Wikipedia, such as saving pages to the device for later reading, and sharing content and images from articles to your favorite social media apps.
Download the Apps
* Get the Wikipedia iOS app from the App Store.
- Get the Wikipedia Android app from the Google Play Store, from F-Droid, or manually install our current or previous APKs.
- Get the Wikipedia Android App from Amazon Appstore.
Updates and team information
See Wikimedia Apps/Team/iOS for more information about the iOS team and their updates.
See Wikimedia Apps/Team/Android for more information about the Android team and their updates.
- iOS Betas are distributed using the Apple TestFlight system. Join Wikipedia Beta!
- Once enrolled you will receive an invitation when the next beta is available. Tap through on that invitation on your iOS device and follow the instructions to install.
- Install the Wikipedia Beta app from the Google Play Store to experiment and provide feedback on features that are currently in development.
- If you want to be on the bleeding edge, install the Wikipedia Alpha app to see what features we're experimenting with! The new version comes almost every day except weekends & holidays (vacations). Mostly 20:00 – 23:00 CEST.
- Translate strings
- IRC chat channel: #wikimedia-mobile connect
* Browse the Android and iOS task boards in ဖ်ုပ်ုလေဝ်က်ုတာႋ.
The Wikipedia apps team is always excited to engage with users; the newsletter is diffently one of the main tools to keep our users updated with our work.
Subscribe here, and volunteer to translate our newsletter so it can reach more users out there from here.
The Wikipedia apps team started to organize office hours with the community users in March 2023 as a two-way communication channel with the users; check this link here for detailed information, announcements, and summaries as well.
The Community Wishlist Survey is an annual survey that allows contributors to the Wikimedia projects to propose and vote for tools and platform improvements.
Community wishlist survey 2022
* The full list of 2022 survey is here and the results that was released during January of 2023 is here.