我们希望项目中的所有编辑者都能够快速有效地找到他们正在寻找的文章。 我们的搜索功能对此至关重要，但是我们当前的搜索体验存在一些问题和需要改进的地方。 首先，搜索是在页面上的非标准位置上进行的，这使以前没有使用过我们网站的用户很难找到它，并且对于已经知道其位置的用户来说很容易忘记。 其次，在搜索过程中，可能需要花费大量时间才能找到正确的结果，因为我们目前不提供所显示搜索结果的任何上下文。
- 搜索栏将包含页面图像（如果有）以及页面说明（如果有）。 页面描述可以是本地描述或维基数据描述，具体取决于各个维基的策略。
- Indentifying any major usability issues that we may have overlooked
- Learning more about search behavior by identifying the breakdown in terms of how people submit their search:
- (a) click on a suggested result
- (b) press `enter` on their keyboard
- (c) click the `Search` button
- To see what people think the “Search” button will do
- To see what people think the “Search pages containing X” will do
On usertesting.com we had people do various tasks, some of which required them to search for various articles (without explicitly telling them to use the search box). There were two groups:
- 17 people
- People in group 1 searched for //Egypt//, //Cave art//, //Banana//, and //Purple//
- 15 people
- People in group 2 searched for //Electricity//, //Banana//, //Willow trees//, //Romeo and Juliet//, and //Purple//
There was a mix of ages and geographies in both groups:
- 0 people had issues using search
- There were a total of 117 searches submitted:
- 86 were submitted via a suggested result
- 19 were submitted via the `enter` key
- 12 were submitted via the `Search` button
- Regarding what people thought clicking the `Search` button would do:
- 16 of 23 people who answered thought it would take them to the first result
- 7 of 23 people who answered thought it would take them to a list of results
- note: all people assumed that `enter` and the `Search` button do the same thing
- Regarding what people thought clicking the `Search for pages containing Purple` would do:
- 25 of the 25 people who answered thought it would take them to a list of pages that have the word "purple" in them
- in the first study people started on the Pancake article and were then asked to go to the article about Egypt.
It was ambiguous how they were supposed to get there. 7 out of 10 people tried to find an "Egypt" link within the Pancake article
- one person wondered why the Cave art search result didn't have an image — made me wonder if the articles that don't have images look lower quality next to the ones that do?
- in two cases the search results loaded quite slowly and the people used the `Search` button
- few people used their keyboard to navigate down to suggested search results (maybe 2 or 3)
Two A/B tests will be performed on the early adopter wikis:
- A comparison of the old location of the search bar vs the new location of the search bar
- A comparison of the old search widget vs the new search widget
We will be tracking the following metrics:
- Search Sessions initiated
- Search Sessions completed
Our target is a 2.5% increase for each change for an overall 5% increase in search sessions initiated
Summary of A/B test results
Logged-in users AB Test
- We observed an average 28.9% increase in the search sessions initiated across early adopter wikis in the AB test;
Results varied on a per wiki basis, with some observed increases and decreases in search sessions initiated between the two test groups.
- For 7 out of the 12 early adopter wikis, there was an increase in the number of search sessions initiated in the new search widget test group.
- Most increases ranged from about 12% to 22% but search sessions initiated were more than double on Serbian (+108.12%) and Hebrew Wikipedia (+192.37%).
- There were no significant differences in search sessions initiated based on the user's edit count bucket indicating that a user's editing experience is not a factor in the likelihood of them starting a search.
Logged-Out Users Pre and Post Deployment Analysis
- We observed an 8% overall increase (13.4% median increase across early adopter wikis) in search sessions initiated by logged-out users on the early adopter wikis following deployment of the new search widget.
Details are available in the full report.
目前，新的搜索实现方式存在一个错误。 如果您在开始搜索后调整浏览器的大小，搜索结果将保持打开状态，但不会随搜索一起更新。 只有当您进行其他搜索时，结果才会重新定位。 我们将在引入新的搜索小部件后解决此问题。
The new search functionality allows for the ability to display an image and a local or Wikidata description along with each search result. This is configurable per project. The current configuration is: