Code review is at the heart of our development process. Any software contribution to MediaWiki or any other Wikimedia hosted project is reviewed and approved at gerrit.wikimedia.org before being merged to our Git repositories. The tool we use to handle code reviews is Gerrit.
If you are a novice developer, read New Developers. If you know that you will work on MediaWiki core and MediaWiki extensions, read How to become a MediaWiki hacker. Learn how to contribute to MediaWiki development and how to set up a functioning pre-configured development installation of MediaWiki.
If you are an experienced developer, visit the Developer hub instead.
Further help on GerritEdit
- Gerrit/Advanced usage - How to do things "the hard way" in Gerrit
- Gerrit/Troubleshooting - Problems and how to solve them
- Gerrit/Navigation - How to navigate Gerrit's web interface
- Gerrit/FAQ - Frequently asked questions concerning how to use Git and Gerrit
- Gerrit/GitHub - About integration with the GitHub service
For code reviewersEdit
For project owners / administrationEdit
- Gerrit/New repositories - How to create a new project in Gerrit
- Gerrit/Project ownership - How to become the owner of a project in Gerrit
- Gerrit/+2 - Guidelines for reviewers with merging rights in Gerrit
- Gerrit/Inactive projects - Guidelines how to handle inactive projects
- Gerrit/L10n-bot - How to add translatewiki.net integration translation updates
Download code without a Gerrit accountEdit
If you only want to get the code and do not plan to propose changes: