EMWCon Spring 2017
The Enterprise MediaWiki Conference Spring 2017, or EMWCon Spring 2017, was held Wednesday to Friday, March 8-10, 2017, in McLean, Virginia, USA, a suburb of Washington, DC. EMWCon Spring 2017 was a three-day conference featuring discussions of topics related to "Enterprise MediaWiki", i.e. the usage of MediaWiki software by and within companies, non-profits, governments, and other organizations. There will be two days of talks followed by a one day Create Camp. The intended audience of EMWCon Spring 2017 is anyone who uses, or would like to learn more about, MediaWiki within organizations.
This was the second EMWCon, after the one in the spring of 2016. EMWCon began as a spinoff of the Semantic MediaWiki Conference, or SMWCon, which is an annual conference held each fall in Europe. EMWCon and SMWCon are both three-day conferences with similar topics of discussion. EMWCon has a broader scope.
EMWCon Spring 2017 was located at MITRE, a not-for-profit organization that manages Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs) sponsored by the US federal government.
- 1 Event details
- 2 Organizers
- 3 Program
- 4 Sign-up
- 5 Presentations
- 6 Local accommodations
- 7 Grants for Wikimedians
- 8 Social activities
- 9 Training?
- 10 Cargo Training
The organizers of EMWCon Spring 2017 are:
- General Chair: Cindy Cicalese
- Local Chair: Bernadette Clemente
- Registration Chair: Yaron Koren
- Program Chair: Chris Koerner
- Create Camp Chair: Mark Hershberger
For any issues, you can contact the organizers on the talk page, or email Cindy at email@example.com.
Also, feel free to add your name to the informal registration signup, below:
- Cindy Cicalese
- Bernadette Clemente
- Peter Meyer
- Yaron Koren
- G. Brett Miller
- Ckoerner (talk)
- Jason Bock
- Tom O'Neill
- Raj Kumar Maurya
- Alex Tanchoco
- Nicholas Hoffman
- Tina Tenbergen
- Marcin Cieślak - looking for some nice area to stay - anyone planning to stay in D.C.?
- Bryan Hilderbrand
- Juan Lara
- Barry Grenon
- Tobias Oetterer
- Jared Olson - NASA
- Kris Field - NASA
- James Montalvo
- Bob Watts
- Jay Crossler
- Daniel Renfro, from Vistaprint
- Gergő Tisza
- Mike Egan - US Army Geospatial Center
Some of the talks that will be presented include:
- Authentication and Authorization in Enterprise Wikis - Cindy Cicalese
- Enterprise Wiki Analytics - Bernadette Clemente
- Enterprise Wikis in Support of Blast Injury Standards Recommendation - Bernadette Clemente
- Making our interfaces smarter - Yaron Koren
- Building confidence in your wiki - Chris Koerner
- Content is Architecture — EMW as an ideal platform for implementing the principles of "Every Page is Page One" based on the "Three-Ontologies-Method" - Lex Sulzer
- MediaWiki as a Software Documentation CMS - Juan Lara, Barry Grenon
- Synchronizing Wikis - More progress has been made on MABS. I'll introduce it to those who haven't see it and update everyone on the progress. -☠MarkAHershberger☢(talk)☣
- Upgrading to AuthManager - Gergő Tisza
- Interesting challenges encountered at Vistaprint — A few successes and a few challenges over the last 10 years — Daniel Renfro
To give a talk, or lightning talk, at EMWCon, just add the proposed title, a brief description and your name, below:
- Tracking historical invention on a wiki: the airplane and its industry -- Peter Meyer
- CommentStreams -- Cindy Cicalese
- how core developers make decisions and how to make sure you are represented -- Gergő Tisza
- Developer Wishlist results - Ckoerner
- how to make mediawiki.org better -- Gergő
- a handful of things we do with our mediawiki -- Tina (happy to step back if we run out of time)
- OAuth -- Gergő
- Cargo vs. Semantic MediaWiki: a quick and biased comparison -- Yaron
- The value of transparency - Alex Tanchoco
- Where do we go from here? - ☠MarkAHershberger☢(talk)☣ 15:37, 10 March 2017 (UTC)
- Performance optimization - Brian Wolff
- meza - James Montalvo
Create Camp IdeasEdit
- Using Ansible to create and manage a wiki/wiki farm; some examples:
- A small but useful extension? Define a #page_formula parser function that renames a page based on a "formula", if any template field within that formula has its value changed. --Yaron
- Start open sourcing PonyDocs work
- Standard deployments vs user size
- Easier installation/maintenance
- Extension Programming Guide
- Continue moving WikiApiary to labs
- Start integrating PingBack and WikiApiary
- Convert .doc, .xls, and .pdf to Wiki
- Image markup with layers
- Display user activity counts -> contributions/new pg
- Spell check
- Continue conversation on MW best practices.
- Start drafting a helpful doc for the CTO of the Wikimedia Foundation on what MediaWiki users are concerned with and need
- SMW modeling exercise
See EMWCon_Spring_2017/Hotels for a list of suggested hotels in the area.
Grants for WikimediansEdit
Travel & Participation Support funds Wikimedians to actively represent Wikimedia at events around the world. Learn about the Travel & Participation Support program
Tuesday, March 7Edit
Attendees who arrive on Tuesday may meet informally for dinner. Email Cindy Cicalese for more information.
Wednesday, March 8Edit
On the first night of the event, Wikimedia DC, MITRE Corporation, and the MediaWiki Stakeholders' Group will be partnering to host an edit-a-thon around the theme "re-linking the government" at The George Washington University.
Thursday, March 9Edit
On the second night of the event, join us at Barrel and Bushel, one metro stop and a short 6 minute walk away in Tysons Corner Center, for an evening of food and drink.
If you are interested in training, please see Training Signup.