- Review and assess bug reports and enhancement requests; close reports where possible; help finding an appropriate assignee for urgent/important reports
- Grow a community of volunteer bug responders who help transfer issue reports from other Communication channels to the bug tracker, and who share bug management responsibilities
- Clean up and organize the existing bug tracker backlog, identifying duplicated and outdated bugs
- Work with members of the community who report bugs to clarify any ambiguity in the bug descriptions and get all the information required to reproduce the bugs
- Work with product managers and developers to prioritize, categorize
and assigntasks based on MediaWiki features and extensions; Identify and escalate urgent/important issues quickly
- Manage expectations about deployment of fixes and help communicating the status of major bugs to bug reporters
- Work with product managers and developers to improve the process of bug submission and bug status workflow
- Communicate widely and frequently (while being transparent) via mailing lists, IRC, wikis, and bug tracker comments
- Reactive bug tracker maintenance (such as adjusting Herald rules, processing NDA requests, creating projects or spaces, renaming or disabling Phabricator user accounts, updating Phabricator documentation, general support requests, etc.)
Sorting and solving bug reports is a collaborative effort by users and developers of the community together with the bugwrangler.
As the bugwrangler cannot support every single project and task in Phabricator to the same extent, maintainers and teams are more than welcome to contact the bugwrangler to express support requests for managing their tasks.
WMF's first bugmaster was User:MarkAHershberger.