Structured Data Across Wikimedia/Newsletter/1
Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data Across Wikimedia (SDAW)! You can update your subscription to the newsletter at any time. If you have suggestions or questions, please let us know!
- What is this project?
SDAW is a project that aims at structuring content in wikitext pages in a way that will be machine-recognizable and -relatable. The project has three high level goals:
- To allow machines to recognize Wikimedia content and to suggest relationships to other Wikimedia content. We are exploring this first via the image recommendations project.
- To design a way to structure articles and pages to enable new content formats – such as content served in smaller, easily digestible pieces that is more accessible for readers to use and share.
- To give Wikimedia users a more inviting, more efficient way to search and find content, building on MediaSearch, and exploring new ways to improve search across Wikipedias using Structured Data.
You can find more information at the project main page. Also, you can take a look at our potential use cases... or you can suggest your own use case!
- Image Recommendation UI
The SDAW team is designing and building an image recommendation features for experienced users, which will build on the work already begun as part of the “Add an image” structured task project. Its focus will be primarily on improving the processes for experienced contributors. In particular, users who have uploaded images to Commons and users who have edited or watched a particular article or set of articles.
We want to hear from you! We have some questions for you, in order to build a better tool in line with your needs:
- Image readability and description: how can we help users add appropriate captions and alt-text?
- Placement of images: should we be helping editors with image placement location? How can we help users make sure they are following the local project's conventions, when choosing and placing an image?
- General feedback: what is your opinion about the project and about our current approaches?
- About the newsletter
This newsletter will be released only when there are things to discuss or to be announced, and we plan on doing it in the least invasive way for your talk (i.e. through your notifications). If you want it delivered to your talk, let us know.
Let us also know your thoughts on the project's talk page. If you have direct inquiries, you can also refer to my talk page.
-- Sannita (WMF) (talk)