Manual talk:Configuration settings
Let's kill the insane contents of this page!Edit
I don't understand what value this page adds.
- Category:MediaWiki configuration settings#mw-pages and other categories automatically list every variable.
- The generated documentation
should be the canonical source of the config variable descriptions.
- (BTW, I'm not sure why Modules > Global settings in the generated doc is empty.)
So, why are we manually maintaining yet another way to get lost in 900+ configuration variables?
Note that MediaWiki is moving away from
$wgSomeName globals (phab:T11968):
- Extensions specify SomeName settings in
extension.jsonthat update configuration variables (see Manual:Extension registration).
- Code should query
context->config->get( 'Somename ) (see Manual:Configuration for developers).
- That leaves just
LocalSettings.phpstill screwing with
I'll be returning to this issue as part of a future reorganizing and deprecating
I'd be happy if someone else is brave and kills 1000 lines of this before me :-)
- I use this page on a daily basis as part of providing support to Project:Support desk or IRC, whenever I have to check a variable name that I don't know if I'm spelling it right or I don't remember exactly the name. Categories are hard to navigate, while having all variables on one page and a small description is very valuable when performing searches on the page from the browser itself. --Ciencia Al Poder (talk) 09:42, 23 September 2015 (UTC)
- While MW is moving away, it hasn't moved, so the documentation is still required.
- The category listing(s), although listy, offer little to no information; they're just lists of links which all require following to be of any value.
- Having a tidy single online source of basic info about related variables makes life easy for folk looking for info IMO.
- What harm does it do to maintain this documentation while it's still relevant? I'd be the first to suggest
killingarchiving it when it's redundant. fredgandt 09:45, 7 March 2016 (UTC)
I went through a quick check through the default settings by looking for
@since MW version marks while comparing through the existing categories, these were the ones that came up to the list. I was going to originally make a personal todo subpage, but I figured it'd be more discoverable if it's on here. This list is probably incomplete, but I'll keep looking. Feel free to create any of these pages if you want to :)
- Introduced in 1.20
- Introduced in 1.22
- Introduced in 1.23
- Introduced in 1.24
- Introduced in 1.25
- Introduced in 1.26
- Introduced in 1.27
- Introduced in 1.28
- I should note that the ones that are listed under this section are because they didn't have a @since mark and I wasn't able to quickly find a commit that introduced them (will continue digging)
To be addedEdit
Now that Rename CDN config variables to be generic, deprecating the old names has been merged, the configuration settings named Squid have been removed (or deprecated). However, this page still lists those (and other related settings) under the header Squid. As MediaWiki supports more than just Squid (with WMF using Varnish, for example), these settings should be moved to a new section. There is already a section caching. Should we move those there? —Mainframe98 talk 12:09, 25 May 2019 (UTC)