Hi @MarkAHershberger and @RheingoldRiver:
I'm going to be publishing a tentative schedule on the work for StructuredNavigation, so we're all on the same page. I would love to discuss more on integrating this in Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo during the talk, since that's when I'll have more time to focus on that feature!
I would love to be able to have at least week numbers for when I'll have certain things in place, but because I am also a university student, I'll be putting these at the very most in months. I hope you all can understand, I don't want to rush this software; I want to make sure it's high-quality, stable, and usable for everyone. I'd like to have the public demo setup available ASAP, but there are a few things that need to be done first to make it more usable.
However, If you are both fine with there being a few bugs, I can make the task for having a public wiki demo available a task higher up the list. Hopefully this clears things up.
I'm not sure if either of you have visited the Extension:StructuredNavigation page, but there is a pitfall listed (that is not on this schedule), which is that since this is in JSON and not wiki markup, the links are not considered in the pagelinks. I still need to improve on my SQL, so unfortunately this task is not listed yet in the schedule, however it is definitely on my mind.
Sept 11th (now) to end of September
- Fixing API modules to be more compliant:
- catch exceptions and send properly localized messages for specific error states
- send proper HTTP headers and HTTP status codes
- Fixing and improving JSON schema (there's some internal and external inconsistencies in the extension between the terms "page", "title", and "label"), make it more scalable
- Adding redirect support for navigations: This will require some work since it extends the JSON content model. An example with redirect support:
- Navigation:Dontnod is created as a redirect to Navigation:Dontnod Entertainment
- Users are able to write
<mw-navigation title="Dontnod" />, and the navigation will still render
- Auto-generated category added to pages that use navigations that use redirects
- Proper JSON schema validation while editing, with localized error messages
- Adding Scribunto/Lua support: The reason this is sort of closer to last is that while it's relatively easy to add support for Scribunto, is that the things listed are before are (mostly) blocking tasks.
- Make the demo wiki publicly available
October to November
Most of this month will probably be most likely working on the integration between Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo, since these are both huge extensions, and both of them also have a very different software architecture between each other. Semantic MediaWiki will probably be more plausible, but Cargo may not be. I will need to look into their APIs and hooks. This will be quite a huge undertaking. We can discuss the use cases and as well as performance considerations during this time.