Inuka (formerly New Readers)
Ịnye ndỊ na-agụ ederede Wikipidia ihe mmụta ziri ezi, mbulite na nnagide ọrụ Wikipidia
Nde kwuru nde mmadụ ugbu a na-abịazi mmụta n'igwe ikuku, nke a bụ izizi ha na-eme nke a Ọ dị mkpa ihụ na ọrụ anyị na-akwado ma na-anabata ndị ọgụụ ọhụụ ma nye ha ikike ịnweta mmụta kwesịrị ịkwado ka ha si amụta ihe na ịntanetị
Ebidoro Otu Inuka nke Wikimedia( ndí nke ama dika New reader product team)n'ọnwa Julaị n'afọ 2019 dika ngalaba na-emepụta ihe ọmụmụ. Mbunobi ndị otu inuka bụ ime ka ndị na-agụ ederede na Wikipidia nwee mmasị ma kwalite nnabata na nnagide ọrụ Wikipidia n'ebe enwere uto ịntanetị
Kedụ ihe butere aha a Inuka?
Inuka bụ mkpụrụokwu sitere na Kiswahili, ihe ọ pụtara bụ ịto maọbụ ịkuli Mbunobi anyị bụ ịkwalite uto mkpa Wikipidia na ọrụ Wikimidia ndị ọzọ dị nye ndị na-agụ ya bụ ndị enweghị ike inweta ịntanetị. Anyị kwekọrịtara ịza aha a sitere n'asụsụ ana-asụsụ n'asụ n'Afrika,di ka ụzọ iji lotere anyị ụdị ndị anyi bu n'obi iresị ngwa ahịa anyị. Nke a bụ olileanya nakwa iji chetere ndị otu anyị na ihe niile anyị na-arụputa maọbụ eguzobe ga-na agbado ụkwụ na uto ndị na-agụ ọrụ Wikipidia na mba ụwa niile.
Ihe mgbado ụkwụ ndị otu a
Mgbe ana-ahazi ma na-arụpụta ihe dị iche iche maka ndị mmadụ ,otu a ga:
- Nrụpụta maka ndị ọbụ izizi ha iji ekwentị agụ ọrụ Wikimedia
- Ime nyocha maka ụzọ ọgbara ọhụụ ndị ọzọ
Ikọwapụta ọrụ ndị otu a
Nkọwapụta agamnihu ọrụ nke ọnwa anọ gara aga
- At the beginning of the 2021/2022 fiscal year, the team will be exploring concepts focused on visual content formats. The concepts will explore, together with communities, the potential for contributing content, primarily over mobile, to create visual narratives.
- Content engagement experience based on showing readers top read content in their country increased engagement with content by 15% overall.
- Released the first version of a plugin on WordPress to make it simpler for websites who use it as their content management system (CMS) to integrate the feature.
- Release version 1.6.0 to the KaiStore that introduced the ability to share an article URL, migration to our new analytics service and improved localization.
- Launched a content engagement experience in Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda and Pakistan, showing readers top read Wikipedia content in their country on the app homepage.
- Received feedback from websites on Wikipedia Preview and how it works as well as guidance on how to integrate it on their websites.
- Received requests to create a WordPress plugin since majority of the websites we were talking to about the feature use WordPress it as their content management system.
- Ịwepụta app nke Wikimedia maka KaiOS n'ọba ahịa Kai,maka ndị ji nwere ya tụmadi ebe enwere ekwentị KaiOS
- Mee nyocha n'India ebe anyị nwere nghọta maka ihe nhịa ahụ banyere ndị ji app a arụ ọrụ Ebe kacha ịhazi bụ ọchịchọ nakwa ime ka nkuzi usoro ka esi eji app a rụọ ọru dị mfe tumadị na-ịgbanwe mkpụrụ edemede ka obuo ibu maọbụ pee mpe.
- Enwere app otu nde na isii nke ezidatara na ngwụcha Q2
- Webụsaịtị nwere ike ịnabata Ọgụgụ ọru Wikipedia site na-ịgbaso usoro dị na GitHub https://github.com/wikimedia/wikipedia-preview
- Otu ndị nkuzi kpọrọ akpọ nọ na Gọọmenti, otu NGO nke mba ụwa niile na ụlọ ọrụ edtech ịmalite ime nyocha na nchọpụta nka nrụpụta dị ichje iche
- Iwepụta usoro Wikipedia app nke mbụ nke maka ndị nọ India nwere ekwentịJio
- Ị wepụta nkwado maka asụsụ RTL
- Ịdị na-ewepụta ụzọ ọgbara ọhụụ maka ọzụzụ ndị ọhụụ
- Ikwalite ọba ebe ana-edebe ihe onyonyo esere ese
- Nhazi na ndozi arụmarụ na nchekwa ha nke ọma.
- Created a demo site to demonstrate how Wikipedia Preview (WP) works. The site shows how Wikipedia Preview works in multiple languages, both LTR and RTL. This experience is best seen on a mobile phone.
- Updated the Wikipedia Preview design style to improve how the Wikipedia logo and icons are displayed
- Framing what research we can carry out with educators, teachers and parents to identify product interventions.
- Introduced a feature where when KaiOS users in India want to select their preferred language, regional languages are shown first on the list https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T247255
- Fixes to support how the app works on Jiophone 2 which has a qwerty keyboard rather than a candybar keyboard https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T248285 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T248443 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T250642
- Allow users to provide feedback from within the app https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T236317
- User testing on how users would discover that Wikipedia Preview is available on a website
- Began framing what the Wikipedia Preview experience would look like on mobile phones https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T250796
The past year was focused on building the Inuka team with a designer, two engineers and a technical program manager onboarded in the third quarter. The team also spent time identifying potential opportunities and focused work on the development of the beta version of the Wikipedia app for KaiOS.
In the 2020/2021 fiscal year, the team's priorities are:
- To launch the beta version of the Wikipedia for KaiOS app. You can follow the progress of work on KaiOS on phabricator with the tag #kaios-wikipedia-app
- To extend Wikipedia access to 3rd party sites through the development and piloting of Wikipedia Preview which shows previews of Wikipedia content
- Work with communities to understand how we can serve readers in emerging markets better
- Explore what contributions the team can make to Education based on the impacts of covid on the education sector
In the 2019/2020 fiscal year, the team's priority is to add new form factors and localized content to substantially extend product experiences in order to grow readership worldwide.
The team plans to do this in the following ways:
- Design a custom Wikipedia app experience for smart feature phones
- Partner with communities to make the mobile web main page more useful to readers in Emerging Markets through new tools
- Extend Wikipedia experiences to external products
Smart feature phones are reported to be in 100 million devices around the world. Based on the KaiOS platform, smart feature phones allow users to experience mobile apps in a similar fashion to apps on Android/iOS.
The experience of users on the Wikipedia mobile web is challenging because of the form factor of a feature phone with a none-touch screen.
The team will build an experience to allow readers to easily access written knowledge in a form that fits the device.
Initiative 2: Make the mobile web main page more useful
The mobile web main page in many smaller wiki communities hardly changes as it requires substantive effort from community members to keep it up to date on a daily basis. The main page could be a great channel for readers to discover content that is useful and meaningful to them. The team will explore features that make it possible to increase the relevance of content for readers on the main page.
Initiative 3: Extend Wikipedia experiences to external products
The team will explore and experiment with making it possible to read and interact with Wikipedia content outside of Wikipedia.
Meet the Team
Lead Product Manager
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Technical Program Manager
Neil Shah Quinn
Senior Data Scientist
Staff Software Engineer/Tech Lead
Senior UX Designer
Community Relationship Specialist