Wikimedia technical documentation: Friends of the Docs
Friends of the Docs is a group that is open to all members of the Wikimedia technical community who are interested in advocating for better technical documentation for Wikimedia projects. This page provides information about current and past projects to improve technical documentation and grow the community of contributors.
Focus areas edit
- Identify top priorities to improve and elevate technical documentation across Wikimedia projects.
- Create standard requirements and processes for creating new tutorials and other technical documents.
- Update and improve existing technical documentation.
- Identify and support advocates for better technical documentation.
Past projects edit
Past meetings edit
Discussion and contact edit
Our primary coordination and discussion takes place via the talk page.
Recommended resources edit
Historical meeting notes and minutes edit
The group was formerly a membership-based special interest group that applied a process of auditing, extension, review, and iteration to Wikimedia technical documentation, but was limited to improving Scoring Platform team and Cloud Services documentation. In October 2019, the group was renamed to Friends of the Docs.
Meetings from when the group was the Technical Document (Re)working Group
See also edit
- Technical Document Re-working Group/Resources for links to further reading
- m:Research:Annual Toolforge Survey
- Cloud documentation phab task list
- gdoc:Wikimania 2017 meeting notes
- Technical Documentation Tasks for Hack-a-thons: A working list of smaller tasks to bring to hack-a-thons, write-a-thons, an do-a-thons
- Heather Stenson's talk "A Friend of the Docs is a Friend of Mine"