Wikimedia Hackathon 2020
We inform all participants of the Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 that we are canceling the event due to the global health situation (COVID-19).
COVID-19 is now considered a pandemic by the World Health Organization, which imposes the Wikimedia Foundation and the local organizing team to follow the proposed guidance and avoid gatherings and to prioritize the well being of the participants and organizers.Participants and volunteers are crowd organizing an online alternative, please follow Wikimedia Hackathon 2020/Remote Hackathon for details.
The Wikimedia Hackathon is a major event that brings together developers from all around the world to improve the technological infrastructure of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, particularly the MediaWiki platform on which they are based, and other Wikimedia code development.
The Hackathon will take place in Tirana, Albania from May 9th-11th, 2020. This is your opportunity to meet the Wikimedia tech community, learn about the technologies and projects that power Wikipedia and thousands of other MediaWiki based websites, and propose or join a demo-able project to hack on during the event.
- Developers new to Wikimedia and tech-curious editors are also welcome!
Just bring your laptop, ideas, and energy to contribute – we promise a great event, cool atmosphere, and an inspiring venue!
Friendly Space Policy and Code of ConductEdit
All participants in the Hackathon are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy and the Code of Conduct for technical spaces. Individuals not cooperating with these policies may be asked to leave the event.
The Hackathon organizing team is taking the COVID-19 threat seriously. We inform all participants of the Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 that we are canceling the event due to the global health situation (COVID-19). If anything changes we will let approved attendees know as soon as possible.
Hackathon Focus AreasEdit
Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 will be concentrated around two main focus areas. Although, participants who plan to work on or learn about any project that they like related to any area of Wikimedia Technology are welcomed to join.
We Identified the focus areas of the event based on the needs of the local community. The focus areas of the events will be concentrated on GLAM and on Onboarding regional developers.
- 1. GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) is one of the main focus for the local Wikimedia efforts and therefore it is important to create a better infrastructure (both digital and human) to support their initiatives and learn new skills. Any project related to furthering open technologies related to GLAM is welcome. If you have plans or ideas and are interested in collaboration, please contact us in advance of the event. More information on the GLAM focus area can be found here.
- 2. We will be running a new onboarding / mentoring / newcomer program at the Wikimedia Hackathon following lessons learned from WikiTechStorm and Wikimedia Netherlands. We will also be incorporating feedback from past Hackathon attendees as well as trying out some brand-new ideas. New contributors will have their choice of trainings, informational sessions, projects to join and easy tasks. As well as more visibility and a very structured first day. More details coming soon! More information on the new mentoring program here.
Information for newcomersEdit
Information for newcomers!Edit
- What is a hackathon?
- Wikimedia hackathons are generally collaborative computer programming events which specifically focus on technologies and projects powering Wikipedia and thousands of MediaWiki installations. Wikimedia hackathons are essentially large development community meetups that attract many developers and designers who care deeply about the issues and technology impacting MediaWiki and the Wikimedia projects. You will get a chance to work together with other developers, designers and Wikimedians, in a productive, fun, and supportive environment.
- Detailed "What is a Hackathon" overview: Information for Participants
Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 Phabricator WorkboardEdit
We use Phabricator to track all hackathon projects and sessions. Please add a task for anything you plan to be working on at the hackathon.
Please email us if you have an idea for the hackathon but you do not use Phabricator. We would be happy to create a task for you or help you get set up no Phabricator.
Here are instructions on how to set up your own Phabricator account.
Wikimedia Hackathon 2020 organizing team: Rachel Farrand, Angjelina Dervishaj, Marcela Korreshi, Mariana Balla, Nafie Shehu, Redon Skikuli, Sidorela Uku, Silva Arapi.
Wikimedia Foundation staff
Local project coordinator
previous edition: Wikimedia Hackathon 2019