VisualEditor/Planning and testing
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
This is a directory of pages related to the planning and testing process of the VisualEditor extension. Some pages document deprecated aspects of the software, and are kept for historical purposes.
- "Forward-look" documents:
- Agendas, meeting agendas for the development team
- Roadmap, plan for VisualEditor as of August 21, 2012
- Phase 2, description of the second phase of the VisualEditor development
- Todo list
- Todo later list, list of tasks de-scoped for the June 2013 release of the VisualEditor
- FAQs from the June 2012 release
- Undo and redo, planning for these functions (historical)
- Test, a general test page
- Typing, testing for languages requiring input methods
- Indic, testing for Indic language characters
- Right-to-left, testing for languages using right-to-left character placement
- Testing Non-Latin Characters Input and Behavior, for non-Latin characters
Weekly Test PlansEdit
The Visual Editor QA team uses the page VisualEditor/Weekly Test Plans to track features being added in each weekly product release cycle, and capture essential notes on what sort of testing will be needed to verify each feature for production release.
test subdirectories of some modules.
They need to run in a browser. You can visit
Grunt can also run the JSHint code checker. See Gruntfile.js.
You can run these tests yourself by installing the necessary software, see Quality Assurance/Browser testing/Running tests;
the easiest setup is to run a MediaWiki-Vagrant virtual machine and enable the roles
For the tests to work
- the test username (MEDIAWIKI_USER) needs an account on the test wiki (MEDIAWIKI_URL)
- the test username's Preferences > Editing "Enable VisualEditor" must be checked
- The test wiki must be configured so that VE is enabled for the User namespace (in
Selenium browser testsEdit
https://github.com/inez/VE-tests/ has additional browser tests that test basics such as typing, breaking a paragraph into two paragraphs, bold, list, etc.
These test are written in Java and depend on Maven and Selenium; they load the VE demo web page in VisualEditor/demos/ve . To run them you must install
- Java JDK
- chromedriver from http://chromedriver.storage.googleapis.com/index.html (and a compatible version of Google Chrome/chromium).
You can use FirefoxDriver instead, or load VE at a different URL, by editing
Continuous integration testsEdit
WMF QA regularly runs browser tests in multiple browser at https://wmf.ci.cloudbees.com, visiting pages on wikis, including beta labs (which is running master) and test2wiki (which is running the most current wmf branch). Click the [r-ve] tab to see all VisualEditor runs.
Dirty diff checkingEdit
There is a bot that runs VisualEditor, picks a random article, saves it, and checks for diffs arising from round-trip editing and Parsoid parsing. Source here, output here. Any dirty diff is a bug in either VisualEditor or Parsoid, even normalizations with no visible change (whitespace, quoting arguments)