VisualEditor/Testing Non-Latin Characters Input and Behavior
This page is obsolete. It is kept for historical interest only. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
Starting on January 28, 2013 and all week long, we're testing VisualEditor's support of non-Latin characters input and behavior.
The VisualEditor project aims to create a reliable rich-text editor for MediaWiki. It is a top priority for the Wikimedia Foundation and it is available for testing on the English Wikipedia.
- You need a browser like Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer is not supported yet.
- Enable VisualEditor in your user preferences on the English Wikipedia.
- Prepare sets of non-latin characters that you can copy/paste and use during your tests. For example, you can find them on Wikipedia articles (such as Brahmic scripts, Hebrew language, List of Unicode characters, Special:Hieroglyphs) or wikis in other languages (like the Hebrew language Wikipedia or the Chinese language Wikipedia).
It's usually recommended to conduct tests on your user page, talk page or a user subpage, to avoid defacing actual Wikipedia articles with test edits.
Here's what you can do to try and find bugs:
- Use VisualEditor to edit pages that already contain non-Latin characters; edit and save a page, adding more non-Latin characters with each edit.
- Insert non-Latin characters into pages that do not already contain non-Latin characters.
- Use non-Latin strings from multiple languages when editing, for example both Hebrew and Indic characters. There is no need to be a speaker of any particular language, we are interested only in the effect of non-Latin text on the page.
- Find non-language Unicode icons and such and edit pages using those also.
Not all bugs may be very visible; some might only be noticed in diffs; when testing, always check the diff and look out for unexpected or unwanted changes in wikitext. We are interested in two areas primarily:
- How the wikitext of the page is affected upon inserting, deleting, changing, and otherwise manipulating non-latin characters with VisualEditor;
- How non-Latin characters and strings affect the behavior of the VisualEditor itself.
For example, there is an unsubstantiated report that strings from different non-Latin languages inserted into a page and saved with VisualEditor may cause loss of data elsewhere in the page. Finding and verifying such issues is important.
In order to maximize your chances of finding a bug, try out a variety of parameters while testing non-latin characters in VisualEditor:
Report new bugsEdit
Who should join?Edit
Where we measure the success of this activity.
List here the bugs you find (and hopefully submit as bug reports) during this week: