Your account has an invalid custom signature set in the account preferences.
A change to Wikipedia's software has made your current custom signature incompatible with the software. You can see your custom signature settings at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-personal-signature. You can check your signature at https://signatures.toolforge.org
There are multiple possible errors. This message is being sent to people who have the "Mismatch between link and username" error.
The problem: Your signature links to a different user account. This often happens when you set a custom signature and then change your username.
The solutions: There are two ways to fix this problem. You can reset your signature to the default, or you can modify your signature.
- Modify your custom signature:
- Find the signature section in the first tab of Special:Preferences. (You need to do this step on the wiki where the error is, which is probably the one where you're reading this message.)
- Look in the New signature: text box for your custom signature code. This contains the name of an account, but it's not your account. It's probably the name of another account that you used.
- Change the wrong account name to your current account name.
- If you have more than one account, and you are trying to link to the other account, then change at least one of the links to your current account name. For example, change
[[User:Username|Username]] ([[User talk:Username|talk]]) to:
[[User:Username2|Username2]] ([[User talk:Username|talk]]) (one link to the current account's userpage, and one link to your other account's talk page), or to
[[User:Username|Username]] ([[User talk:Username|talk]] • [[Special:Contributions/Username2|contributions]]) (two links to your other account and one link to
[[Special:Contributions]] for your current account).
- Click the blue "Save" button at the bottom of the page. (The red "Restore all default settings" button will reset all of your preference settings, not just the signature.)
After you have done this, the error will be fixed. If the error is not fixed, then clicking the blue "Save" button at the bottom of the page will produce an error.
If you need help, please read mw:Special:MyLanguage/New requirements for user signatures/Help. Thank you. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk)