Release status: stabil
|Implementation||User rights, Special page, Page action|
|Beskrivelse||Provides two-factor authentication for logging in|
|Latest version||Continuous updates|
|Compatibility policy||Snapshots releases along with MediaWiki. Master is not backward compatible.|
|Licens||GPL-2.0-or-later AND GPL-3.0-or-later|
|Quarterly downloads||86 (Ranked 90th)|
|Public wikis using||1,459 (Ranked 205th)|
|Translate the OATHAuth extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The OathAuth extension provides two-factor authentication support. By default, this includes a time-based one-time password (TOTP) implementation that allows users to generate 2FA codes from their phone or desktop app. Client support is available for most feature phones, smartphones and desktops.
The help page on Two-factor authentication provides information for end users on how to use this extension. However the special page used will also guide users.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Only when installing from Git, run Composer to install PHP dependencies, by issuing
composer install --no-devin the extension directory. (See task T173141 for potential complications.)
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php file:
wfLoadExtension( 'OATHAuth' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Configure as required.
- It is strongly recommended to setup caching when using OATHAuth. This will improve performance, but also the security of your wiki if you're using OATHAuth. If you are only running one application/web server and have php-apcu installed, and no specific cache configured, MediaWiki will likely fallback to using APCu. If you are using multiple application/web server it is advised to setup local cluster caching that can be used by all hosts. Examples include Memcached.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
||The number of token windows in each direction that should be valid.
This tells OATH to accept tokens for a range of effectively
||Databasedomæmet. Only used in a multi-database environment.|
||The base OATHAuth secret for this wiki from which all encryption keys are derived.
||The prefix used for the OATHAuth user account name and the issuer used for the account.
||Set of permissions that are revoked from users who did not log in using two-factor authentication.|
||Sets a list of user groups that are required to have two-factor authentication enabled. Use 'user' if you want all logged in users to be required to have two-factor authentication enabled.|
OATHAuth also adds a key to the $wgRateLimits array to define rate limits for authentication attempts:
'badoath' => [ '&can-bypass' => false, 'user' => [ 10, 60 ], 'user-global' => [ 10, 60 ], ]
Note that the
user-global key is available only since 1.35.
Earlier version have to rely on
user and perhaps
See the documentation of
$wgRateLimits for details.
- Granting access to enable OATHAuth
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['oathauth-enable'] = true;
The above will grant all registered users access to enable OATHAuth.
- Resetting a user token
In the event that a user both loses their token generator AND the recovery tokens; two-factor authentication may be removed from the user by deleting their row from the
oathauth_users database table.
Alternatively, a sysadmin with shell access may type on a command line
cd /path/to/mediawiki/extensions/OATHAuth/maintenance/ and then execute
php disableOATHAuthForUser.php "username" where
"username" is the user to have 2FA disabled.
- Wikimedia Security Team/Two-factor Authentication for CentralAuth wikis
- Two-factor authentication (TFA)
- Initiative for Open Authentication (OATH)
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|This extension is included in the following wiki farms/hosts and/or packages:|