Release status: stable
|Implementation||User identity, Special page|
|Description||Allows to invite users to signup to a closed wiki|
|Author(s)||Niklas Laxström (Nikerabbittalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the InviteSignup extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
The InviteSignup extensions allows account creation to be offered to a user on a closed wiki where it's restricted.
The extension adds a "Special:InviteSignup" special page, available to users with
- The inviter, from this page, by entering just an e-mail address, can quickly invite a single person to create an account on the wiki.
- The person can then set a username and password, confirming the creation of the account, which is logged; until then, no account is created.
- The inviter can optionally set additional user groups to which the account will be added automatically after creation.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'InviteSignup' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- You will need to give the
invitesignuppermission to at least one user group. To have administrators be able to do the inviting, for instance, add the following to LocalSettings.php:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['invitesignup'] = true;
- You can also set the variable
$wgISGroupsto an array of user groups. When inviting, you can mark to which groups the invited user will be added automatically. For example, with the following setting, you are able to invite 1) normal users 2) translators 3) sysops.
$wgISGroups = array( 'translator', 'sysop' );
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- Extension:ConfirmAccount – where the account is requested by the user rather than offered.
- m:Help:Logging in#Creating an account – Special:CreateAccount allows creation by e-mail, but requires a username to be set because creation is immediate.
- Some other extensions focus on mass account creation, for instance Extension:Education Program among several.