User talk:Keegan (WMF)
Concerning Echo NotificationsEdit
Mediaviewer on Thai Wikipedia: accept the proposalEdit
Mediaviewer Is Really BadEdit
Dear Keegan, You might have already guessed it but let me express what is the summary of Media Viewer Talk Page. IT IS TOTALLY, UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY SHITTY PIECE OF "IMPROVEMENT". And for the time-being until and unless you and your team get a hang of what a good media solution can be for Wikipedia please make it Optional and by optional I don't mean that you once again copy and paste "It Can Be Disabled" Line. Turn it off by default. And please release those survey details in the public domain, which you so proudly flaunt in the faces of your fellow community people when we ask for a voting opportunity, and i know that it's not polite for me to post on your personal talk page about the Media-viewer but seeing you WMF people's replies on that page made me realize that you people don't care about the community. Each and every one of your replies is just a different iteration of the last one, forcing your point down our throats, you might as well declare Wikipedia North Korea 2.0 and change your user name to Kim Jong-Un (WMF). And I Sincerely hope that you realize, because of annoying attitude such as yours, people stop contributing to this beautiful encyclopedia. With Love 22.214.171.124 19:16, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
- My talk page is always welcome for you to express yourself on; I'm not going to ask you to be polite if you're feeling enough about this to be upfront. It's fine by me, I'd rather you tell me how you think it is rather than not. Survey information is public, you can find the relevant links here. It's unfortunate you find my attitude annoying, I'm just trying to find out what it is about Media Viewer that people do not like, aside from the fact that it exists, so that developers can make it into something you might enjoy. The same goes for people that like Media Viewer- it's great that you like it, but there's probably some things about it that you do not and it's important those things are still told. I do not have any authority or control over where and how Media Viewer is released, as far as I'm aware there are no intentions of creating North Korea on the English Wikipedia. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:32, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
- 126.96.36.199, I'm not involved with this product release, but have worked closely with the liaisons on a number of deployments. I understand that you are frustrated, but I'm going to disagree with Keegan here - talking to people like you're doing here is never okay. If you want to be taken seriously and treated with respect, please offer the same courtesy to others. Personal attacks such as this won't help. --Mdennis (WMF) (talk) 20:41, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
Dear Keegan, First of all, thanks for such a fast reply, I know how much frustrating it might be for you to be a part of implementation of such a radical change that too in a community like Wikipedia. I would also like to say that you have been very kind to reply to almost every topic on the talk page about the Media-viewer, and with all my sincerity I respect you very much for that.
That Being Said, I am repeating a suggestion from the talk page, Please make the media viewer optional for everyone, not just Logged in users. Now You asked me how I think it is, so here is my reply.
- Firstly, the feedback button is hardly visible.
- Secondly, Can't you introduce media viewer the way Google introduced tabbed E-Mail(If by any chance you don't know what am i talking about, I can explain it further) so that the transition is easier rather than just seeing something completely new.
- According to your own statistics 28 % people don't like it, out of those 28 % how many might have been logged in ??? Agin with the optional for everyone.
- Also According to your own statistics, out of the surveyed people, only 17 % are English, Now I don't know the official statistics but English speaking users should be much larger than Dutch and French Users, whose survey numbers stand at 1361 and 3124 wrt to 1380 that of English. Now since the feature is fairly new for the masses, shouldn't you guys wait a little while longer to draw out conclusions from a 7000 people survey of a website which serves over 120 million users per month ???
- And if your developers still want to draw conclusions, please take a fresh look at the [<tvar|survey1>https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=iZPs07IA7asM_2fdSMfbrcPbWF59dDTHVK5_2fd8VIXvcA8_3d</> English results dashboard] 60 Percent people don't like what they see.
- Finally, It might look beautiful on a large screen, as an owner of a 14 inch laptop screen, it just takes up too much space.
Now as for the North Korea comment, Let me apologize I stepped out of line there, and as it turns out a text joke without a smiley is nearly always a disaster even if it was of a critical intent :) . Please don't take it personally, but I stand by my comments of a half developed feature being rolled out completely and that of People with the foundation towing the same company line and also keeping a cold front towards the community in general now a days. Again, my intent was not to be offensive but to contribute.
I Hope that clears everything up.
- ) 188.8.131.52 21:23, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
- Hey, great, thanks for writing me back. It certainly does help clear things up; no hard feelings, I didn't take it personally. As I said part of my job is to find value in feedback no matter how someone chooses to present it, no matter the emotion. It would be lovely if we were all a little nicer to each other all the time, but <shrug>, what can you do? Like you said, it's text and we lose so much context for how people say things.
- Anyway, thank you for providing more information about how and why you have problems with Media Viewer. Your voice is heard, and I appreciate you taking the time, energy and bandwidth to have this discussion. I'm asked, "What are you hearing from the community?" and this is something that I'm hearing. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 21:43, 6 June 2014 (UTC)
Also concerning Media ViewerEdit
You kindly responded to me here, but I only noticed today — I don't come to Mediawiki very often. Yes, I did manage to turn it off, thanks. :-) (Now I only have to get around to turning it off for my socks.) Bishonen (talk) 14:14, 7 July 2014 (UTC).
Templates and translationsEdit
I got some email proposing a new user name Ancheta~mediawikiwiki and am concerned that this user name (Ancheta~mediawikiwiki) will override Ancheta Wis (talk) . The email was not to my expected email address.
My Single User Login largely works, except for the Wikimania2006 Ancheta Wis (talk), and I have not touched that one since. Perhaps I should let the Ancheta~mediawikiwiki be the username for the Wikimania2006 account? <=== The report says the wikimania2006 account is not attached, which is completely fine by me.
It appears that if I do nothing, the eswiki Ancheta, 3 edits, will get renamed. But that is not my concern. The one user for eswiki (who is not me, only 3 edits) might complain. But I guess you will handle it. BTW, Ancheta is a fairly common name in some parts of the world. One meaning of the word is 'a small gain, or profit'.
Keegan, The complexity of this arrangement is mindboggling. Somehow my enwiki contributions know nothing of the meta, or the mediawiki, not to mention test, or tool labs.
Please provide feedback on suggested improvements to the Code of ConductEdit
Thanks to everyone who’s helped work on the Code of Conduct so far.
These are important sections, so please take a look at the proposed changes. I apologize that this feedback arrived later than planned, but I think this will create a better document.
If you prefer to give your opinion privately, feedback via e-mail is welcome at conduct-discussion wikimedia.org.