My goal for the Wikimania 2018 hackathon will be to write no code, and spend as minimal amount of time on my laptop as possible. Instead, I want to conduct informal interviews with developers (and non-developers) on a few different topics:
- What was your first contribution to Wikimedia technical areas? Was there anything that made you feel empowered?
- What is your developer workstation/environment like? What tools are you using?
- What new projects are you looking forwards to? Any old ones that you find especially valuable?
- What would you like to change? (If you could change just one thing, what would it be? etc.)
I'm also thinking about a question about harassment/CoC, but I'm not sure the circumstances would elicit good responses. Maybe something about the +2 process as well.
Post Wikimania briefEdit
- Interviewed: Roan, Bryan, Nick, Siebrand, Sj, Lydia, and Victoria. I forgot to take photos of everyone but Roan. I also only got around to doing the workstation interview with Roan, and even then not really.
- Code written: Addshore wrote most of gerrit:446696 and then I fixed it up so I could take a screenshot for the showcase. Also wrote  but that deleted way more code than I wrote, so I'm not counting it as writing code.
- Nominated 5 people for +2 access, and then wrote User:Legoktm/Road to +2 based on my conversation with Roan.
- Committed/volunteered for 5+ new projects, oops. More details to follow.
- Thought about MediaWiki release process a bunch (mostly looking at other free software projects for inspiration/copying), talked with Cindy a bit
- Talked with Petr a bunch.
- Reedy for root.