Structured Data Across Wikimedia/Newsletter/7
Welcome to the newsletter for Structured Data Across Wikimedia (SDAW)! You can update your subscription to the newsletter at any time. If you have suggestions or questions, please let us know!
- Search improvement tool “View it!” announced, demo on Aug 31
We are pleased to announce our first collaboration to develop a tool that experiments with using structured data/content to improve the search experience on one or more Wikipedias.
The name of the tool is “View it!”, and is developed by Dominic Byrd-McDevitt (User:Dominic), Kevin Payravi (User:SuperHamster), and Jamie Flood (User:JamieF).
The View it! tool will enrich Wikipedia content by offering an illustration of a given subject. This tool will increase the discovery of Wikimedia Commons uploads and encourage contributors to utilize Commons and structured data. While the number of images displayed in a Wikipedia article is finite and highly curated by editors, this tool will allow readers to access the full catalog of images available on Wikimedia Commons, and help editors easily add relevant items to a given article.
The tool will have also an online public demonstration on Wednesday August 31, 2022 at 16:00 UTC. During the meeting, the creators will discuss the functionalities and suggestions for the data View it! will utilize.
- Upcoming feedback request for Search Preview panel
We are currently working on a new search improvement feature called “Search preview panel”, that will help the users to discover relevant content and go directly to a desired section of the article. By clicking on the snippet provided, a panel will open with curated metadata and content, based on the article’s metadata.
We have published the initial mockups, and are interested in hearing your feedback. More specifically:
- What do you think about the approaches we are following?
- Do any of the proposed changes affect the contribution flow in your opinion? If yes, how?
- Is the content shown in the Search preview helpful to you? If so, how would you use it?
- Are the images, sections, and other content in search preview helpful to you? If so, how would you use it?
- Is there anything else you would like to see added or removed from the search preview or desktop or mobile?
- What do you think about the interaction of viewing the search preview on mobile?
- About the newsletter
This newsletter will be released only when there are things to discuss or to be announced, and we plan on doing it in the least invasive way for your talk (i.e. through your notifications). If you want it delivered to your talk, let us know.
Let us also know your thoughts on the project's talk page. If you have direct inquiries, you can also refer to my talk page.
Hope to read and see you soon!
-- Sannita (WMF) (talk)