Release status: stable
|Latest version||11.17.0 (2021-09-22)|
|Compatibility policy||Snapshots releases along with MediaWiki. Master is not backwards compatible.|
|License||GNU General Public License 3.0 or later|
|Example||Example on MediaWiki Skins Wiki|
|Translate the Evelution skin if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix;|
Evelution is a skin designed to provide a MediaWiki appearance that it is as close to Fandom's FandomDesktop skin. If you like to send us a bug report, do it so via the GitHub issues or via our SkinEvelution support server.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadSkin( 'Evelution' );
- Done - Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the skin is successfully installed.
As of version 4.3.0, Evelution allows you to configure it with some of the known configuration options.
Those configurations must be put into LocalSettings.php
Configuration options that are still able to be changed:
||4.3.0||still in use||If true, the alignment of the |
||4.3.0||still in use||If true, disables access to Visual colors and the theme chooser. Likewise, it uses a hardcoded theme with colors taken from the Vector skin.|
||4.3.0||still in use||If true, on screens with 705 pixels or more, disables the desktop community header and forces the desktop sticky community header to be always visible.|
||5.0.0||still in use||If true, disables the right rail that appears on appears on all pages (Except Special Pages and MediaWiki Pages) while on |
||5.1.0||still in use||If true, changes the layout to be more server/development wikis-friendly (No Desktop Local Navigation, Addition of Left actions link before the content (Which has the local navigation menus), smaller page header title, full width Small Breakpoint size and no right rail on Help and Project Namespaces)|
||5.3.0||still in use||If set, sets the font family of the skin to a different font than the ones used primarily aka Didact Gothic|
||8.1.0||still in use||If false, it removes the sticky behavior of Right Rail on larger screens with 700 pixels or more. |
Configuration options that were once able to be changed, but were later removed from a later version:
||5.5.0||6.1.0||It settled the style of Material Icons. Values allowed: outlined, filled, rounded, sharp, two-tone. Values outside the allowed ones resulted in outlined icons.|
||6.2.0||8.0.0||If false, it removed the default outline set to icons, making them look like filled.|
As of version 7.6.0, Evelution has its own URL parameters that will temporary enforce specific use of a feature (Such as Different theme) for the current page load. Those can be mixed such as
||String||7.6.0||still in use||Sets the active theme (|
||String||7.6.0||still in use||Takes a valid visual style name and applies it. (|
||String||7.6.0||still in use||Takes a valid visual color pack name and applies it. (|
||String||7.6.0||still in use||Takes a valid color mode and applies it. (|
||Boolean||7.6.0||still in use||If true, content width is full otherwise fixed.|
||Boolean||7.6.0||still in use||If true, personal links start collapsed otherwise shown.|
||Boolean||7.6.0||still in use||If true, sticky header starts collapsed otherwise shown.|
||Boolean||7.6.0||still in use||If true, right rail starts collapsed otherwise shown. Has no effect on small screens and when no right rail appears.|
||String||7.6.0||9.4.0||Took a valid color filter name and applied it. (|
- Evelution has been tested and works with VisualEditor.
- Evelution fetches article and image counts from Special:Statistics. As of Version 3.9.0, it also fetches edit and user counts from the said page.
- An "In other languages" dropdown will appear in the bottom of the left sidebar if the page has interlanguage links added.
- A "Language Variants" dropdown will appear in the bottom of the left sidebar for wikis that have a language with variants set as default (Such as Chinese)
- There is an html class for the currently active theme until 9.6.0 (
theme-D) or the
themeattribute with value either set to
Dfrom 9.7.0 onwards. Several attributes to the body element, all related to theme properties are also present.
- Evelution has its support server and GitHub repository links in the left sidebar. As of Version 3.3.0, a link pointing to its Documentation is also added.
- Evelution displays the Sitenotice (If present) above the article name.
- All footer-places links found in the MediaWiki footer in many skins such as Vector are shown in the "Explore" dropdown menu residing on the upper links in the left sidebar.
- As of version 2.6.0, if the Echo extension is installed, a Notifications link pointing to Special:Notifications will appear in the bottom links of the left sidebar, before the themes dropdown.
- As of version 2.7.0, a floating toolbar has been added and it is attached to the content space container. This toolbar has seven important links and is not customizable without custom JS. As of version 3.0.0, it can be collapsed. As of version 3.2.0, similar behavior has been added to the sticky local navigation
- Starting with version 3.1.1, Evelution uses local storage to store its settings for the Article Width (Between Fixed and Full), Toolbar Display (Between Full or Collapsed) and Active theme (Between the four themes) into database keys
eve-pref-activerespectively. These apply to a specific wiki on the Evelution Skin on a single browser.
- As of version 3.4.0, Evelution supports Large Desktops otherwise known as devices with 1500 pixels in width or more by providing larger typography sizes and content width. As of Version 3.6.0, Evelution likewise supports Mobile Phones otherwise known as devices with 704 pixels in with or less. Those get an article layout similar to the mobile side of MonoBook. Version 3.7.0 contains three different sub-breakpoint sizes for the Mobile Breakpoint.
- As of version 3.8.0, support for different Visual Styles (Modifying the Layout) and Visual Colors (Overriding colors set by the wiki) has been added with several of them being included. More of them will be added through releases. Those settings are preserved through page reloads. As of version 6.6.0, those are translatable into other languages.
- As of version 4.4.0, icons embedded using the OOUI library are now adapting to the text color of the parent element, allowing them to be in colors other than black, white, red, green, yellow and blue.
- As of version 4.8.0, a right rail has been added. It has an activity module which has a tranclusion of Special:RecentChanges with minimal formation to be in line with the same module on Fandom's FandomDesktop skin. A information module is also available which contains information about the wiki in brief. This info is empty by default and its content is editable at
MediaWiki:Eve-about-module-infomessage. As of Version 4.10.0, right rail can be collapsed. As of version 5.1.0, right rail sizes is at 275px for medium screens, 300px for large screens and 325px for XL screens
- As of version 5.3.0, Logo support has been evolved. The wordmark is fetched from
$wgLogos['icon']if exists like past releases, with fallback to either
$wgLogoif one of them exist. Otherwise, no wordmark appears. The Site Title, while still being a text mark, if
$wgLogos['wordmark']exists, the wordmark set takes place over the textmark (But appears at a constant size across brekpoints). Wordmark will appear masked so as it can adapt wiki's theme. Width and height set to the wordmark is ignored as it sets the size automatically.
- As of Version 6.7.0, Evelution respects system's native dark mode. This will trigger a special phenomenon called Inverted Colors. This work was completed with version 7.5.0
- As of Version 7.10.0, a built-in Theme Designer applet has been Added. It is accessible at
CPE ThemeDesignerpage and content put inside that page will be overwritten by that applet. This does not load the current theme but rather works as an interactive applet for generating new themes. Users can also test the theme to see how well it fits. This work was completed with version 8.0.0. Starting from version 10.6.0, it is accessed instead at
CPE ThemeDesignerpage being an alias to the corresponding special page (But with visible right rail)
- As of Version 8.12.0, a series of floating action buttons have been added to Evelution, akin to FandomDesktop skin. This work was completed by 8.14.0
- As of version 9.1.0, Evelution supports displaying user's avatar in global navigation but only if SocialProfile is installed on the wiki.
- As of version 11.17.0, if
$wgLogos['evelution-nostickylogo']is set, no logo will appear in the Sticky Navigation