Scrum of scrums/2016-03-16





  • Updates:
    • 5.0.0 was released - all the new things
    • 5.0.1 was submitted - fix all the new things that crashed
  • Upcoming:
    • 5.0.1 - release (blocked on Apple review)
    • 5.0.2 - a little bit of this and that, second round of bug fixes, some small functionality tweaks
    • 5.1.0 - still in planning stage for some larger adjustments to some of the new 5.0.0 functionality
  • Blocking:
    • nothing comes to mind atm
  • Blocked:
    • 5.0.1 - release (blocked on Apple review)
    • "mw-mobilefrontend-leadsection" leaking in to mobileview lead section (broke our transform but we pushed a workaround in 5.0.1)
    • powering through 5.0.0 OTRS feedback firehose (not so much blocked as just time consuming) - digesting this feedback will inform what goes into 5.0.2 and 5.1.0
    • this also isn't really a blocker, just something we'll need to do sometime in the future - audit mobile content service output for any android-specific bits which may need to be tweaked before iOS can adopt - i doubt there will be issues, but we'll need to check

Mobile Content ServiceEdit

  • Blocking:
    • None
  • Blocked:
    • potential blocker: "File: pages of images stored on commons result in 404s". Would be really nice to get that one fixed before we roll out MCS usage to Android production app.
    • We need a new Android prod app release for the roll out of MCS usage in Android production app
  • Updates:
    • Considering starting roll out of MCS usage to Android production app next week since DC-switchover test is delayed until mid April. Might as well do it now.
    • Working on fixing lead paraph transformation in the service.

Reading InfrastructureEdit

  • AuthManager is still coming! (see two weeks ago for details)
    • Behind schedule though.


  • 2.1.143 beta coming soon.

Community TechEdit



  • Blocking:
    • External Store - Continuing work. Some local stuff merged that will help with testing.
  • Blocked:
    • No new blockers. Work on dump continues
  • Updates:
    • Good feedback from cross-wiki notification roll out some far.
    • Some small issues, e.g. people feeling spammed by welcome bots from wikis they visited one time (or maybe just a load.php reference).


  • Blocking:
    • None
  • Blockers:
    • None
  • Updates
    • Work on improving ContentTranslation continue.


  • Blocking
    • None
  • Blockers
    • None
  • Updates
    • Another A/B test for the core upload dialog (esp. regarding VisualEditor uploads) to be released soon in an effort to reduce garbage uploads, heads up


  • Blocked:
    • Security: SVG sanitizer
  • Updates:
    • Completion suggester deployed on all wikis as default starting March 16th
    • New portal improvements deployed
    • Started weekly status updates:
    • Working on enabling encryption for search traffic
    • Preparing for A/B test of phrase match boost for search



  • Deploying 2FA to wikis next week (disabled for almost all users initially)
  • Tarball release planned for next week


  • Blocking: none
  • Blocked: none
  • Updates: none


  • Blocking:
    • Security wants to do a release of MW, working on timing
    • Fundraising tech needs patch merged for jjb config, gerrit 277563
  • Blocked: None
  • Updates:
    • Code freeze is not happening next week, April 18th instead. See wmfall, wikitech-l announcement coming today too.

Technical OperationsEdit

  • Blocking: Research on ORES, started assigning LVS this week
  • Blocked: none
  • Updates:

Fundraising TechEdit

  • need one patch merged by RelEng:
  • tested backup credit card processor for an hour
    • fixing the bugs that shook out
  • burst of DonationInterface refactoring
  • draining some molasses out of the CentralNotice campaigns page
  • testing strategies to make contact merges reversable in CiviCRM



  • Working on goals for next quarter: will share soon with dependencies
  • Finishing up work on the request breakdown reports to replace wikistats reports: OS and Browser breakdowns