Scrum of scrums
Many Wikimedia Engineering teams are using the scrum agile method. To keep projects and teams abreast of one another, we have a weekly scrum of scrums (SoS) meeting where representatives from each department exchange updates. The meeting is currently held on Wednesdays at 17:35 UTC (10:35 Pacific), and is facilitated by a rotating chair.
- Please have your updates in the etherpad before the meeting starts.
- Do not read your content in the etherpad out loud.
- Indicate blockers or teams that you are about to block.
- Be selective in speaking to things that truly are affecting a larger portion of the development community.
- Share higher-level summaries of changes that will impact other teams, call-outs, asking each other questions, and celebrating successes.
- Share relevant info from meeting with your team.
Rules of engagementEdit
- If you must miss a meeting and cannot send a proxy, then before the meeting please enter your answers to the SoS questions (below) on the meeting etherpad.
- Be prepared. Have your updates and dependencies ready, and, review/update the dependency wall before the meeting.
Each representative answers the following:
- What has your team done since we last met?
- What will your team do before we meet again?
- Is anything slowing your team down or getting in their way?
- Are you about to put something in another team’s way?
At the meetingEdit
- Ensure meeting starts/ends on time.
- Ensure conversation stays focused and relevant. Direct conversations to happen off-line as needed.
- Ensure there is an owner for cross-team commitments when possible (e.g. if one team needs a particular patch reviewed urgently, try to get someone in the room to commit to helping them out).
- Ensure dependency wall is up-to-date.
- Ensure clear notes are taken and posted.
- It is valuable to highlight particularly important action items/needs/touch-points.
- It is also valuable to keep track of which teams are present at SoS and encourage missing teams to respond to the questions/review the dependency board via email.
After the meetingEdit
- Within 24 hours after the weekly Scrum of Scrums meeting on Wednesdays, copy this week’s content from the etherpad to subpage of this page. Example: Scrum of scrums/2019-03-20.
- Create the page with source editor. That will remove all formatting. (If you have New wikitext mode enabled in Special:Preferences, if you paste as wikitext via Ctrl or Cmd+V from the etherpad it will double every new line. Instead, do paste-as-plaintext via Ctrl or Cmd+⇧ Shift+V.)
- Fix formatting errors (mostly whitespace) and typos.
- Make sure that all blocking/blocked tasks are in both teams. (If team A is blocked by team B with task T, the task should be in blocked section of team A and blocking section of team B.)
- Delete empty sections (teams with no updates, blocking/blocked/updates with no content).
- Copy source of Scrum of scrums/Template page to the etherpad.