Scrum of scrums/2014-09-24
Facilitating: Matt Flaschen
- New PDF renderer (Offline Content Generator) scheduled for deployment September 29
- SUL finalization making progress, but deadline will slip
- Graph extension deployed to MediaWiki.org and Meta
- not able to attend today, conflict
- no dependencies, just a general note: Limn is not going anywhere. If you'd like to visualize stuff, team analytics will help you out, just ping us in IRC / on-list
- Blocked by QA for comparison perf test - https://wikimedia.mingle.thoughtworks.com/projects/multimedia/cards/828 - create card
- #136 marked done, thanks Platform - need deploy window for ImageMetrics, will schedule this week or next for beta, two weeks out for prod.
- Ops discussion about missing Commons files and Swift - card
- Ops: Why are Swift logs only kept for a week?
- We'll be pushing UI improvements for Media Viewer tomorrow, but they're riding the train. No issues there.
- Analytics: We have some neat numbers having to do with UploadWizard errors and dropoff rates if you want to see them, and we're hoping to get screen/window size numbers in the next two weeks to inform our thumbnailing work
- Good progress on RESTBase implementation; basic functionality for page content now there
- Retrieval of HTML by oldid, data-parsoid storage, transparent fall-back to Parsoid
- composable buckets; example: high-level pagecontent bucket
- Next steps: clean up, test, improve Parsoid integration & deploy
- Hardik busy with exams
- OCG / PDF render service scheduled for deployment next Monday
- replaces Tampa infrastructure
- We are hiring! New JDs for Software Engineer and Senior Software Engineer
- #139 Patch for special page aliases conflict resolution needing review from language. They just found out today. :)
- SUL finalization work continues. Making good progress but will slip a little from the planned code complete date.
- HHVM doing HHVM things. Ori, Tim and others fixing bugs. Giuseppe doing good things with packaging.
- IEG grant review application in development and hoping to go live on the cluster in a few weeks. Estimated to deploy to production on 2014-10-09.
- Brad working on lots of API fixes.
- Quarterly review coming up next week.
- CSSJanus (nodejs and php implementation) made into standalone library. Published to npm and Composer Packagist.
- Hiera now available in operations/puppet production and labs
- webstats dataset now being generate via Hive on Hadoop, soon to be made public
- Dallas build out coming along, LVSes mostly in place, DB Shards replicating, etc.
- #127 SSD upgrades ordered for exisitng machines. Waiting for quotes on new hardware.
- Yuvi working on Shinken (Icinga replacement)
- Work continues on Content Translation
- User experience enhancements: Cursor positioning, styling, alignment
- Caching and performance improvements
- Basic logging and metrics
- Deployment infrastructure
- Plan to deploy to beta at end of month es <-> ca
BIG THANKS TO OPS FOR INFRASTRUCTURE HELP!!!
- Will continue work on Content Translation
- Future release planning tomorrow
- Backlog grooming and scheduling
- Investigating publishing analytics solutions
- Investigating visualization solutions
- Investigating adding more languages and MT providers
- MLEB testing in preparation for RC.
- Niklas reviewing patch for Special pages issue
- ULS and CLDR extensions updated
- Some WIP CLDR work by Santhosh on core (updated plural rules)
- Andrew Green giving feedback on Central Notice RfCs - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Requests_for_comment/CentralNotice_backend_improvements
- General stabilization push in anticipation of English fundraiser
- Investigating auth options for tying dashboard access to CRM accounts
Nothing to report; - Antoine is back. - Continue to increase usage of Trusty in testing. - Let me know if we can be of help!
- More progress with rendering parity
- Scott and Arlo focused on PDF service work
- Last Wednesday, we found a page that hogged all memory during parsing and caused a load spike on the parsoid cluster -- problem since found and fixed in master. Will be deployed on Monday (which is why i missed SoS last week because I was sucked into that debugging)
- Parsoid quarterly review next Friday (Oct 3rd)
- Have to work with Flow to wean them off the private data-parsoid attribute use -- this blocks Parsoid/Services from removing data-parsoid from HTML sent to clients (on the cards over the next month).
- Roan/Timo: can one of you review marc's cite css work?
- Roan still banging his head against the wall with Citoid puppetization: was told to use Mathoid as an example but it's broken. Could use help from services or ops
- is this in beta labs? or somewhere else?
- Timo still in town until next Friday (Oct 3rd)
- Editing quarterly review next Wednesday (Oct 1st)
- Roan working from Europe Oct 2 - 12
- changing and regressing topic and post moderation, some caught by browser tests
- it is always super to hear that browser tests exposed a bug. If it's anything notable, feel free to say something on the QA mail list for public edification :-)
- mlitn (Matthias Mullie) working on Search on a board, will soon need to talk to Chad & Nik
- labs-vagrant and mw-vagrant issues. Q for other teams: does anyone else use labs-vagrant
- mediawiki.ui ("Agora") dialog in Flow, will propose for core as jquery.dialog() replacement
- new QA Tester starts Oct 14
- if you've ever reported a bug, consider coming to this Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/wikimedia-tech/events/207856222/
- Chris making changes to Echo and Flow browser tests repo
- Preliminary talks with Ops about optimal architecture for Jenkins performance, much more to be done
- Dan working on performance measurements for MMV
- Finding bugs with tests!
- Team is growing to 6 devs (Sam and Rob Moen joining, Bahodir hired)
- Working some on mediawiki.ui improvements (Jon)
- Quarterly review begins tomorrow
- Jeff joined us, onboardin
- Graph extension is public - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum#Graphs.2C_Maps.2C_..._.28experimental.29
- Bending Lua to produce data
- Released task recommendations experiment, and started analyzing results
- Login cookie patch
- Patch to have GettingStarted browser tests do a registration; working with QA on this