Use this page for requests for:
- autopatrollers, uploaders or IP block exemption (which can be assigned by administrators)
- Promotion to sysop, translation admin, bureaucrat or anything not above (which can be assigned by bureaucrats)
- Requests for comment and other miscellaneous requests
Any new flagging to +sysop should have an associated subpage here, except for well-established developers, where a developer is someone who has had changes accepted to the MediaWiki core or a MediaWiki extension where the total number of changed lines in the relevant whitespace-insensitive diffs exceeds 100.
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike most Wikimedia sites, this site is controlled by the MediaWiki developers, not the other users in this community. Being a developer (someone with merge access who uses it to maintain code that runs on Wikimedia sites) automatically entitles you to at least administrator status, and a long-time developer won't find it hard to become a bureaucrat. If you're not a developer, you do have to give some good reason to get any privileges; you should not expect to ever be made a bureaucrat. Something like a third of administrators and a quarter of bureaucrats are non-developers, however, so it's not like you shouldn't bother asking.
That said, there aren't really any formal policies on what's required: you just have to convince a bureaucrat. Use common sense―if you're trustworthy and your services are in need, there's no reason not to promote you to administrator at least, but don't ask for administrator without giving a concrete reason (unless you're a developer). Being personally known to a developer or having administrator or higher status on a major Wikimedia project are two ways to be deemed trustworthy.
Requests for permissionsEdit
- Archives: Autochecked user • Translation administrator • Administrator • Bureaucrat • Other user rights
User: Sannita (WMF)Edit
- Requested user-rights: Other.
Hello, I need
newsletter-manage rights on Mediawiki.org to be granted to this account, since we're planning to set up a new newsletter for the Structured data across Wikimedia project, and we would like to use the Newsletter extension in order to avoid flooding user talks. Thank you. --Sannita (WMF) (talk) 10:56, 18 June 2021 (UTC)
- User rights cannot be assigned on an individual basis. These particular rights are part of the Administrator group. Is that sufficient? —Mainframe98 talk 11:03, 18 June 2021 (UTC)
- Requested user-rights: ipblock-exempt.
- @SHEIKH Are you regularly caught behind local blocks? Most open proxy blocks that affect MediaWiki are global which you should be able to bypass using your global IP block exemption. Majavah (talk!) 05:23, 15 June 2021 (UTC)
- @Majavah: Yes, am I often caught behind local blocks, I get stuck even after I have global IP block exempt rights.— SHEIKH (Talk) 12:42, 15 June 2021 (UTC)