Use this page for requests for:
- autopatrollers, uploaders or IP block exemption (which can be assigned by administrators)
- Promotion to sysop, translation admin, bureaucrat or anything not above (which can be assigned by bureaucrats)
- Requests for comment and other miscellaneous requests
Any new flagging to +sysop should have an associated subpage here, except for well-established developers, where a developer is someone who has had changes accepted to the MediaWiki core or a MediaWiki extension where the total number of changed lines in the relevant whitespace-insensitive diffs exceeds 100.
The autopatroller group can be assigned by administrators, too, but generally that is given when an admin notices that patrolling someone's edits does not add any value, and not based on requests by the user themselves.
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike most Wikimedia sites, this site is controlled by the MediaWiki developers, not the other users in this community. Being a developer (someone with merge access who uses it to maintain code that runs on Wikimedia sites) automatically entitles you to at least administrator status, and a long-time developer won't find it hard to become a bureaucrat. If you're not a developer, you do have to give some good reason to get any privileges; you should not expect to ever be made a bureaucrat. Something like a third of administrators and a quarter of bureaucrats are non-developers, however, so it's not like you shouldn't bother asking.
That said, there aren't really any formal policies on what's required: you just have to convince a bureaucrat. Use common sense – if you're trustworthy and your services are in need, there's no reason not to promote you to administrator at least, but don't ask for administrator without giving a concrete reason (unless you're a developer). Being personally known to a developer or having administrator or higher status on a major Wikimedia project are two ways to be deemed trustworthy. This is a wiki that has opted in to allowing global sysops to work here, and such users are free to use their rights on this wiki and do not need to separately request administrator. The same applies to global rollbackers, who are already autopatrolled on this wiki. Other users in specialised global groups (such as global interface editors) are also free to use their rights on this wiki by default.
Requests for permissions
- Archives: Autopatrolled (formerly Autochecked user) • Translation administrator • Administrator • Interface administrator • Bureaucrat • Other user rights
- Requested user-rights: Autopatroller.
Recently, I've been reviewing sites that use MediaWiki, but I know that my edits are constructive and doesn't want to be reviewed. I've never made any vandalism. Thank you for reading my request. ToadetteEdit (talk) 18:53, 21 November 2023 (UTC)
- Comment: Personally I'd like to see a longer period of involvement on this project before granting autopatrolled, unless you have a demonstrated history on other wikis (I saw your enWP edit ban, so I might have set higher expectations). Keep contributing here and you might get it at some point without even requesting. We don't have a specific standard here so I'll keep the request open for a while in case other admins think otherwise. -- 94rain Talk 06:11, 30 November 2023 (UTC)
Other requests and requests for comments
Move this page to Project:User rights requests
This page is primarily used for user rights requests and many discussions here, like the above thread, really would fit better at Project:Village pump. Hopefully renaming would clarify the scope and reduce confusion. * Pppery * it has begun 01:39, 30 October 2023 (UTC)
- I support this, it is an ambiguous title with this "Other requests" section implying any request which isn't a permission request. As someone who just posted in the incorrect place, if Project:Village Pump is the correct place for these requests, then the title should be updated to meet the scope of the page. Terasail 01:53, 30 October 2023 (UTC)
- Support renaming --Ameisenigel (talk) 15:47, 30 October 2023 (UTC)
- Note that I just created the Project:Requests for permissions redirect before reading this. 𝟙𝟤𝟯𝟺𝐪𝑤𝒆𝓇𝟷𝟮𝟥𝟜𝓺𝔴𝕖𝖗𝟰 (𝗍𝗮𝘭𝙠) 16:37, 31 October 2023 (UTC)
- Good idea. But it should be moved to Project:Requests for permissions instead which is more accurate. – Ammarpad (talk) 12:09, 1 November 2023 (UTC)
- Support renaming in general to reduce confusion. Not sure how we should handle the local requests for comments though. Tropicalkitty (talk) 23:28, 1 November 2023 (UTC)
- Support moving #Requests_for_permissions, preferably to Project:Requests for permissions. We can keep this page as a Request directory and a place for handling other requests. 94rain Talk 04:26, 30 November 2023 (UTC)