Release status: beta
|Implementation||User rights, Special page|
|Description||Allows administrative overriding of IP-address throttles (editing, page moves, account creation, etc.)|
|Author(s)||Tyler Romeo (Parent5446talk)|
|Latest version||0.6.0 (2016-10-05)|
|License||GNU General Public License 3.0 or later|
|Translate the ThrottleOverride extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The ThrottleOverride extensions provides an interface for overriding certain rate limits in MediaWiki for temporary or indefinite amounts of time. Throttle exemptions are applied to IP addresses or IP address ranges, and can affect the page edit, page move, account creation, password recovery, and user email throttles. This is useful if a wiki administrator is expecting and authorizes a large number of edits, account creations, etc. from a single IP address.
The extension can be retrieved directly from Git [?]:
- Browse code
- Some extensions have tags for stable releases.
- Browse tags
- Select the tag
- Click "snapshot"
- Each branch is associated with a past MediaWiki release. There is also a "master" branch containing the latest alpha version (might require an alpha version of MediaWiki).
- Browse branches
- Select a branch name
- Click "Continue"
Extract the snapshot and place it in the extensions/ThrottleOverride/ directory of your MediaWiki installation.
If you are familiar with git and have shell access to your server, you can also obtain the extension as follows:
cd extensions/ git clone
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'ThrottleOverride' ); // Who can use Special:OverrideThrottle ? // If you want that sysops can use it: $wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['throttleoverride'] = true;
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.24 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
wfLoadExtension() If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.24 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'ThrottleOverride' );, you need to use:
The user-facing part of the extension are the special pages Special:OverrideThrottle and Special:ThrottleOverrideList. On the former, throttles can be overridden and existing throttles can be changed. On the latter, a list of all throttle exemptions that are currently active is shown.