Release status: beta
|Description||Enables the designation of soft redirect pages with a magic word|
|Example||Special:SoftRedirectPages on MJL Testing Wiki|
|Translate the SoftRedirector extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
SoftRedirector is fork of MediaWiki extension Disambiguator that is trying to do for soft redirects what it does for disambiguation pages. It should allow you to designate all soft redirect pages with the __SOFTREDIR__ magic word (or an equivalent alias), which then marks them as such in the database. It is currently unclear if this will allow other extensions to handle soft redirect pages as a separate class of page.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your "LocalSettings.php" file:
wfLoadExtension( 'SoftRedirector' );
- Configure as required.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
The following configuration variables can be set from your
- $wgSoftRedirectorIndicateLinks - whether to add a
'mw-softredir'CSS class to links to soft redirect pages (default is
SoftRedirector provides the following features:
- Programmatic identification of soft redirects pages via the __SOFTREDIR__ magic word
- New special pages for listing all soft redirects and pages linking to soft redirects
- New API functions equivalent to the above special pages as well as an API function for querying whether or not a page is a soft redirect
- Modifies Special:LonelyPages to ignore soft redirects
- Modifies Special:Random to ignore soft redirects (requires MediaWiki 1.26.0)
- If VisualEditor is enabled, allows marking a page as a soft redirect via the page properties interface
- If VisualEditor is enabled, shows whether a page is a soft redirect or not in the link inspector
- If VisualEditor is enabled, shows whether a page is a soft redirect or not in the link dialog
- If configured, add a 'mw-softredir' CSS class to links to soft redirect (See #Configuration below)
Once SoftRedirector is installed, the best way to use it is to add the
__SOFTREDIR__ magic word to a template that is then included in all of your soft redirect pages.
Once the magic word is in place, your soft redirects will all have the 'soft redirect' page property assigned to them in the database. This property resides in the page_props table.
You will also have two new Special pages:
- Special:SoftRedirectPages - which lists all the soft redirect pages on your wiki.
- Special:SoftRedirectPageLinks - which lists all of the pages on your wiki that link to soft redirect pages.
To list all the soft redirects:
To list all the soft redirect links:
Note that on wikis running in MiserMode (all WMF wikis), both the special page and API interface for SoftRedirectPageLinks are limited to a certain number of results (typically 1000–5000).
To see if an individual page is a soft redirect page:
If it is a soft redirect page it will include
'softredirect' in its pageprops.
Note that the
softredirect pageprop, if present, will have its value set to an empty string, so be careful about testing it as a boolean.