Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, API|
|Description||Provides a special page helping administrators identify and delete spam|
|Author(s)||Vivek Ghaisas (Polybuildrtalk)|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 only|
|Translate the SmiteSpam extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Check usage and version matrix.|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The SmiteSpam extension provides a special page "Special:SmiteSpam" helping administrators identify and delete spam pages.
Navigate to "Special:SmiteSpam" in order to run the analyzer and get a list of pages that the extension identifies as spam. You can use the interface to block users, delete pages created by them or trust a user you know to be good contributors.
The list of trusted users can be viewed and edited at "Special:SmiteSpamTrustedUsers".
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'SmiteSpam' );
- Run the update script which will automatically create the necessary database tables that this extension needs.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
By default, this extension can only be used by sysops. You can change it: e.g. let also bureaucrats use it by adding the following line to your "LocalSettings.php" file.
$wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['smitespam'] = true;
||0.7||Pages analyzed as having a spam "probability" higher than this will be shown on special page.|
||true||Should SmiteSpam ignore pages smaller than 500 characters?|
||true||Should SmiteSpam ignore all pages that don't have any external links outside of template calls?|
||500||Number of pages to analyze in one AJAX request. (Setting this too high can cause timeouts.)|
||250||Number of pages to display in one paginated page.|
$wgSmiteSpamCheckers is a parameter that lets you choose which "checkers" you want to run and how much weight (value) you want to give to each of their reports.
By default, this is set to:
$wgSmiteSpamCheckers = [ 'ExternalLinks' => 1, 'RepeatedExternalLinks' => 1, 'Wikitext' => 1, ];
Checks how much of the text (ratio) is external links.
Checks whether there are repeated external links.
Checks how much wikitext is there in the contents of the page.
The version history for this extension is:
- 0.1 - September 6, 2015 - Initial version
- 0.2 - March 14, 2020 - extension.json added; support removed for MW < 1.29; submit button added to bottom of form in Special:SmiteSpam; fixed select all/none to also account for pages created by blocked users; added special page links to Extension:AdminLinks interface; files rearranged
- 0.3 - April 20, 2020 - renamed $wgQueryPageSize and $wgDisplayPageSize variables to $wgSmiteSpamQueryPageSize and $wgSmiteSpamDisplayPageSize, respectively; more file rearranging