Release status: stable
|Implementation||Special page, User identity, Database|
|Description||Allows to import users in bulk from a CSV file|
|Latest version||2.2.1 (2023-01-14)|
|Compatibility policy||For every MediaWiki release that is a Long Term Support release there is a corresponding branch in the extension.|
|Quarterly downloads||25 (Ranked 134th)|
|Translate the ImportUsers extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The ImportUsers extension adds special page, "Special:ImportUsers", which can be used by bureaucrats (or other users who have the
import_users permission) to import users from a CSV file to MediaWiki's user database.
Import File Format edit
The CSV file in UTF-8 without BOM encoding consists of four or five columns, delimited with commas:
- real name
- user groups (optional; if the user is a member of more than one group, put each group in its own column in the CSV file - do not embed them with commas in one column)
Be sure the CSV file has the correct line feeds. Files with Macintosh line feeds will process only the first line.
user1,pass1,email@example.com,John Doe user2,pass2,firstname.lastname@example.org,Jane Doe,editor user3,pass3,email@example.com,Jonnie Doe,editor,staff
Duplicate/Collision handling edit
This extension will never create duplicate user accounts. Collision handling behavior is determined by the "Replace existing users" check box.
- What is account collision?
Two accounts are in collision (or are duplicates of each other) if their login names (user names) are equal.
- What can be done?
- When "Replace existing users" check box is clear (unchecked), ImportUsers extension will ignore records in the input file which are duplicates of existing accounts.
- When "Replace existing users" check box is checked, ImportUsers extension will update corresponding accounts with data from input file.
Note: MediaWiki tolerates duplicate email addresses. In other words, there may be multiple accounts connected to the same email address. This extension will not validate for duplicate email addresses.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php file:
wfLoadExtension( 'ImportUsers' );
- Configure if necessary.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
- User right
The user right "
import_users" is by default assigned to the "bureaucrat" user group. In case you would like to assign the right to an additional user group, e.g. "sysop" add the following line
to your "LocalSettings.php" file after the inclusion of the extension as described in the "Installation" section above:
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['import_users'] = true;
After importing users you might want to run MediaWiki's "initSiteStats.php" maintenance script to update the statistics of your wiki on registered users.
See also edit
- MediaWikiAuth – Extension which is designed for "on demand" import of old accounts into a new wiki
- UserExport – Extension that allows to export users in bulk to a CSV file
|This extension is included in the following wiki farms/hosts and/or packages:|