Release status: stable
|Description||Allows users to close the sitenotice|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber (Brion VIBBERtalk)|
|Latest version||continuous updates|
|Compatibility policy||Snapshots releases along with MediaWiki. Master is not backwards compatible.|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Translate the DismissableSiteNotice extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The DismissableSiteNotice extension allows users to close the sitenotice, using cookies.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:
wfLoadExtension( 'DismissableSiteNotice' );
- Configure as required.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
To users running MediaWiki 1.25 or earlier:
The instructions above describe the new way of installing this extension using
If you need to install this extension on these earlier versions (MediaWiki 1.25 and earlier), instead of
wfLoadExtension( 'DismissableSiteNotice' );, you need to use:
This extension provides two configuration parameters:
- Integer. The value is stored inside a cookie. When a user decides to close the sitenotice, the current value of $wgMajorSiteNoticeID is saved as well and the closed notice is not shown again. $wgMajorSiteNoticeID now can be incremented when a new text is set up as sitenotice. If $wgMajorSiteNoticeID has inbetween been incremented, then the sitenotice is shown again, even if the user closed an older sitenotice before.
- This allows to set whether or not it should be possible for anonymous visitors of the wiki to dismiss the sitenotice shown. Defaults to "
false". Available for MW 1.25 +
When you add a new sitenotice and want everyone to see it, change the number on the created page "MediaWiki:Sitenotice id" by one (e.g. if it would be 5, you'd replace the page with the number 6 and so on).
The extension behavior is that it will remember the dismissal by the user and only reset after the number in MediaWiki:Sitenotice_id has been raised. This allows a wiki to make minor updates to a notice without causing it to show again for everybody.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|