Release status: stable
|Description||Allows users to close the sitenotice|
|Author(s)||Brion Vibber (Brion VIBBERtalk)|
|Latest version||continuous updates|
|Compatibility policy||Snapshots releases along with MediaWiki. Master is not backward compatible.|
|License||GNU General Public License 2.0 or later|
|Quarterly downloads||59 (Ranked 106th)|
|Public wikis using||2,711 (Ranked 188th)|
|Translate the DismissableSiteNotice extension if it is available at translatewiki.net|
|Issues||Open tasks · Report a bug|
The DismissableSiteNotice extension allows users to close the sitenotice, using cookies.
- Download and place the file(s) in a directory called
- Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php file:
wfLoadExtension( 'DismissableSiteNotice' );
- Configure as required.
- Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.
This extension provides two configuration parameters:
- Integer. The value is stored inside a cookie. When a user decides to close the sitenotice, the current value of $wgMajorSiteNoticeID is saved as well and the closed notice is not shown again. $wgMajorSiteNoticeID now can be incremented when a new text is set up as sitenotice. If $wgMajorSiteNoticeID has inbetween been incremented, then the sitenotice is shown again, even if the user closed an older sitenotice before.
- This allows to set whether or not it should be possible for anonymous visitors of the wiki to dismiss the sitenotice shown. Defaults to "
false". Available for MW 1.25 +
When you add a new sitenotice and want everyone to see it, change the number on the created page "MediaWiki:Sitenotice id" by one (e.g. if it would be 5, you'd replace the page with the number 6 and so on).
The extension behavior is that it will remember the dismissal by the user and only reset after the number in MediaWiki:Sitenotice_id has been raised. This allows a wiki to make minor updates to a notice without causing it to show again for everybody.
|This extension is being used on one or more Wikimedia projects. This probably means that the extension is stable and works well enough to be used by such high-traffic websites. Look for this extension's name in Wikimedia's CommonSettings.php and InitialiseSettings.php configuration files to see where it's installed. A full list of the extensions installed on a particular wiki can be seen on the wiki's Special:Version page.|
|This extension is included in the following wiki farms/hosts and/or packages:|