Wikipedia.org Portal brainstorming ideas for future
The ideas presented here were discussed during an informal brainstorming session about future work for the Wikipedia.org portal; held on April 20, 2016. Additional thoughts and ideas are always welcome!
- How do we feel about the work that we've committed to this quarter?
- What do we think needs to be worked on as a close follow-on into next quarter?
- How do we see the Portal evolving over the next year?
Ideas for the Portal:Edit
- display news content from other wikis
- suggest interesting topics ("I want to see most read articles in [category]")
- social trending - display latest 3 (tweets, tumblr, instagram, etc) posts with #wikipedia
- social sharing - make it easy for folks to share content presented on the portal
- picture of the day
- breaking news articles ("what's happening right now in [country]?")
- work with fundraising to figure out a way to use the portal for donations
- (not all the time, timely campaigns?)
- display content relevant for our best guess of the location the user is browsing from
- Search for 'images' or 'books' or 'news'
- tabbed search results by project? Wikipedia | Commons | Wikivoyage | etc..
- Encourage visitors to edit
- or how to become an editor
- put edit buttons on all the things!
- use iOS app "feeds" feature for inspiration
- Allow users to customize the feeds
- default should be really simple, but customizing would increase the likelihood that I would come back regularly
- not having ads helps here.
- Display search results on the portal itself
- search results - shown on the portal page (not immediately move to a different search page)?
- add in something for editors/contributors?
- Portal searches could take users to an experimental UI for wp
- maybe add in something in search results to go to the article in edit mode
Ideas for UX work - not on the Portal:Edit
- type-ahead on wiki
- metadata in search results on wiki
- language detection while typing in a search box
- Making the Go button behave without surprises
- Present search results more attractively
- improve commons searching
Needs for the Portal:Edit
Find out why users come to the Portal and don't do anything.
- talk with users to ask how/why they use the Portal
- try to communicate with those users that bounce from the portal page and discuss why they bounce
- Analytics from A/B tests:
- will tell us a lot!