Wikimedia Research/Design Research/Contributors Team UX Research/2016.09-10 Content Translation, Template Translation
Content Translation, Template Translation (infobox and conversion)
Currently, the Content Translation tool does not offer much support for translating templates.
A prototype page containing infobox and unit conversion templates were created as a first step to rectify the situation. The goal of this research study is to evaluate the usability of these two template editing modes within the Content Translation context and also gather general feedback about users’ experiences using the tool.
- What are some of the current limitations of the content translation tool?
- How do users feel about Content Translation’s current support of templates?
- How are users’ experiences with the two template translation features on the prototype page?
- Participant recruiting
- 5 participants
- Youtube Live / Google Hangout on Air sessions
- Prototype test environment
Current Wikipedia editors using the content translation tool
- Tell me a bit about you and your work on the wikis.
- How often do you translate with Content Translation?
- Could you talk me through (show if possible) your typical translation workflow?
- What are the main benefits and limitations/issues you found when using it?
- What do you think about the current support of templates?
- We want to share a very early prototype. Many aspects don’t work. If anything does not work, just keep telling us what would you expect to happen and what would you do next.
- What would you do to start translating this article?
- In the first paragraph there is information about cupcakes summarized in a box. Show me how you’d translate it.
- Show me how you’d start translating the next paragraph. Imagine that in your local Wikipedia, it is recommended to indicate the sizes of small objects such as cupcakes using millimeters instead of centimeters. Please describe how you’d make this change.
- Now try doing what you just described. What do you think of this? How does it compare to your expectations?
- How were your experiences editing these two templates such as the information box or the unit conversion? Did you find anything confusing?
- Can you describe the difference between the templates’ display view and edit view? How were the transitions between one mode and the other?
- Was it clear what you need to edit in order to change the contents displayed in the template?
- Tell me a little about your past experience as a translator and your translation workflows/tools/methodologies. How do these editable templates compare to what you’ve done or the tools you’ve been using?
- How do you see these template tools fitting into your workflow, if they were to be implemented? (be totally honest here!) [Would you use this CX tool if it were to be implemented on the wikis?]
- You accessed two different templates. One was a whole paragraph, and the other was surrounded by text in another paragraph. How did you feel about the process of editing these two templates?
- Could you give us any final feedback on your experiences today?