Wikimedia Mobile engineering/Events
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
This list is meant to capture upcoming events that the Wikimedia Mobile projects expect to have presence at along with a longer listing of industry mobile events.
- India 2011 hackathon focused on Internationalization, Mobile, & Offline
- San Francisco - January 21 and 22, 2012
- Brazil 2012 - Proposed hackathon
Where to meet mobile developers, vendors, operators... potentially interested in Wikimedia projects. Note the many events happening in USA and Germany, where Wikimedia communities are also strong. Not a coincidence.
- 10-11 May 2011 Google I/O - San Francisco.
- 11-14 May 2011 LinuxTag - Berlin. Might be useful since Wikipedia community & mobile devs are strong in Germany.
- 23-25 May 2011 MeeGo Summit - San Francisco.
- June 2011? Apple WWDC - San Jose?
- 23-24 June 2011 Mobile Developer Summit - Bangalore. Wikipedia & mobile are big in India - probably also a chance to meet developers for lower-end devices.
- 25-29 July 2011 OSCON - Portland. Fits in the openness spirit + web & app developers can be found there e.g. Android friendly.
- 6-12 August 2011 Desktop Summit - Berlin. GNOME & KDE devs plus some of the best Linux app developers, including mobile.
- September 2011? Nokia Developer Summit (URL from last year) - ???.
- 8-9 October 2011 Silicon Valley Code Camp can be fun!
- 9-11 October 2011 Oreilly Open Android Conf Oreilly Open Android Conf
- 18-20 October 2011 Blackberry Developer Conference - San Francisco.
- October 2011? Microsoft PDC - Windows Phone doesn't seem to have yet a conference on its own.
- 1-2 November 2011 Smart Device & Mobile User Experience Summit... Was OSIM before. Might be useful to meet vendors, operators etc.
- 7-9 November 2011 AnDevCon aka Android Developer Conference - San Francisco?
- Autumn 2011 - Qt Developer Days in Munich & San Francisco (URL from 2010).
- February 2012 Mobile World Congress - Barcelona.
Also worth considering: there are many mobile local events in SF Bay Area where good advocacy might bring good returns. http://meetup.com is a good (non-free) service to trace them.