Wikimedia Hackathon 2017/Register and Attend< Wikimedia Hackathon 2017
Register & Attend!
Interested technologists and hackers of all backgrounds are welcome at the hackathon. Some experience with the MediaWiki software is beneficial – newcomers are welcome to join the mentoring program. Registration and participation are free, but places are limited and candidates will be chosen according to their motivation, contribution to free knowledge and Wikimedia projects, as well as relevant experience.
Wikimedia Österreich will hold preparatory meetings for Austrian developers before the hackathon. Those who are not well acquainted with MediaWiki are encouraged to download and read about it here on mediawiki.org or in any other available source.
Please note that all participants of the Hackathon are expected to respect and abide by the Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy and the Code of Conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces. Individuals not cooperating with these policies may be asked to leave the event.
For this year’s Hackathon we will be implementing a mentoring program for newcomers to our movement.
Information for Newcomers: This program will give newcomers the chance to dive into the Wikimedia movement and try out projects. Projects will be designed in a way that will give newcomers the chance to hack with on something that can be completed by the end of the weekend together with an experienced Wikimedian as a mentor. While hacking, the newcomers on the team can get to know the Wikimedia movement and see what impact they can have.
We would like to create an event which will offer newcomers the opportunity to engage closely with Wikimedia projects. Pre-assigned hacking groups for newcomers will be kept small, with only four to six participants per project. It will be a unique chance to get to know some of the coolest projects and coders out there and become part of the Wikimedia community!
Newcomers who are interested to be part of the mentoring program during the Hackathon please also indicate this in the registration form together with some information on your coding skill level and interest areas so that we can match you with suitable mentors and fellow mentees.
Information for Mentors: We are looking for Wikimedians who would like to attend the Hackathon exclusively as mentors! The first part of your job will be to come up with a newcomer friendly project broken into small and large easy-to-accomplish tasks. Then you will attend the hackathon and work together with newcomers guiding them through the project from start to finish.
By using the registration form above you are asked whether you want to apply for a scholarship for participating in the Wikimedia Hackathon 2017. Our international scholarships are designed to cover your travel expenses and your stay at the hotel.
An international scholarship committee decides about the scholarship requests. These scholarships are funded by the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland.
The deadline for applying for a scholarship was February 26, 2017.
Scholarships by local Wikimedia affiliatesEdit
- Wikimedia Norge: Apply for scholarship from Wikimedia Norge. Deadline 15. February 2017.
- Wikimedia Nederland. Apply for scholarship by mail to info(at)wikimedia(point)nl. More information on our wiki. . Deadline 1 March 2017.
- Wikimedia Deutschland: If you live in Germany, please use the registration form to apply for a scholarship. Your request won't be handled by the international scholarship committee but directly by Wikimedia Deutschland.
- Wikimedia Czech Republic: Apply for a scholarship to become a member of the Wikimedia Commons app team at the Prague Pre-hackathon as well as the main event in Vienna.
- Wikimedia Österreich: If you live in Austria, please use the registration form to apply for a scholarship. Your request won't be handled by the international scholarship committee but directly by Wikimedia Österreich.