Wikimedia Apps/imported/Retrospective-June 26 2014

Worked wellEdit

  • ANDROID RELEASE +1+1
  • early feedback
  • good to have the acra (ACRA - Application Crash Reports for Android) crash reports coming in real time (quite motivational ;) )
  • Really fast bug fixes for Android release
  • finally got eventlogging ios stuff finished (and then we added more on Android :))
  • OTRS responses and queueing
  • Really happy with the onboarding workflow/designs
  • DID WE SAY ANDROID RELEASE?+1++@!$
  • Also, ANDROID RELEASE
  • Also less bottlenecks on the Android team (Android team has lower bus factor, yay!)
  • Apparently, an android has been released
  • Android beta feedback that let us accurately fix a lot of issues across a range of things
  • Dan
  • Brion engaging with Andy Mabbett and actually finding a rather bad bug, long after everyone gave up trying to talk to him
  • Good engagement with Analytics on instrumentation (Halfak is awesome)
  • Android cards have been burned through at an amazing rate
  • Bearnd and Dmitry (Super Responsive to quick discussion and exploration and great refinements on existing work) :)
  • Translation workflow for Android got super quick

Worked poorlyEdit

  • Insufficient Devices (Designdroid: Android devices for designers for personal use too!) +1
  • Sprint 33 got sticky on iOS :(
  • Sprint 34 is a bit messy with the restyle cards clogging up the to-do column
  • Designs werent ready for all cards (design lag needs catchup) +1 (product needs to play into this more to help)
  • was still a bit behind on some iOS stories
  • Design facing cards currently get signed off on by Dan only. I think designers should have more input into that.
  • Signoff for low-level bits like eventlogging is confusing
  • Not enough diversity of devices to test with? (also need more 2.3 devices)
  • Designers need to get much more on top of android patterns and limitations (questions asked from perspective of iOS, but Android's different)
  • Dan getting dragged into non-apps stuff without wanting to
  • People not collecting feedback in one place (ad hoc polls on irc) (take this offline)
  • Need to start creating a focus & culture after we get stable
  • Still don't know how to deal with translation defects

Confuses UsEdit

  • Unclear what must be done before we (iOS) release
  • How often do we want to release to production?
  • Quality standards are different for different people on the team
  • Need to sort out some translation QA issues on iOS side (Amir needs an iPhone?)
  • Our story for each sprint
  • Data and Dashboards so we can start to have a relationship with engagement numbers. Like Mobile web
  • Feature requests being made on IRC without proper consensus, evaluations arent the most objective. (examples?)
  • Design feels slightly iOS centric +1
  • Is there anything we need to do to get iOS ready for OTRS input? [there should be queues; check into the setup!]
  • Do we know if we get crash reports consistently for iOS? Do we need to add something? [iTunes connect sends us crash reports in theory...]

Action pointsEdit

  • MOAR DEVICES. iOS for language team, Android for design team, iOS tablet and Android phone for Dan(ish, they can sit in the office). Devices pinned to certain OS versions (Android 2.3 devices). Dan to follow up with Tomasz.
  • Design / Product+Engineering sync-up, planning and integration. We need to discuss ways to get us better in sync. e.g. design attending standups. Talk about quality, and how to do signoff. Vibha to set up a meeting.
  • Maybe we should have a data workshop for designers and products. Dan to speak to Maryana, since she'd be ideal would be probably be ideal for this.
  • Figure out how to get planning ahead more, and when we do that. Wait until post-iOS release.
  • Criteria for iOS release, because those are unclear. Dan will set up a meeting for that SOON.
  • Criteria for Android releases e.g. "how often we release" (Yuvi will set off discussion on mobile-l)