Wikibase is the software that enables MediaWiki to store structured data or access data that is stored in a structured data repository. Wikibase basically consists of four MediaWiki extensions. Wikibase Repository and Wikibase Client can be enabled individually or together for a given MediaWiki installation to turn it into a structured data repository, a client of a structured data repository or both.
For example, Wikidata is a Wikibase Repository as well as a Wikibase Client.
You can find out more about the overall architecture of Wikibase and its components on wikiba.se.
Wikibase Repository is a MediaWiki extension that can turn a MediaWiki installation into a structured data repository. It allows editing and storing of that data.
Wikibase Client is a MediaWiki extension that can turn a MediaWiki installation into a client of a structured data repository. It allows to use and display data from a Wikibase Repository via Lua modules or parser functions. Clients can also use centralized language links or article placeholders.
Although Wikibase can theoretically be installed just like any other MediaWiki extension, Wikibase's complexity and its dependencies mean that a typical installation requires some additional steps.
- Minimal install - A guide to setting up your own minimal Wikibase installation
- Wikibase software suite - An overview of setting up MediaWiki, Wikibase and commonly used related software
- Docker - Use the provided docker-compose file to launch a functional Wikibase install with commonly used related software
If you're a developer and want to contribute to the Wikibase codebase, you should read through the Programmers guide to Wikibase.
- Manual:Managing data in MediaWiki – An overview and comparison
- Cargo – Allows for the storage and querying of data contained within templates
- DynamicPageList – Allows to extract data from pages
- Semantic MediaWiki – Allows for the storage and querying of data within pages
- Semantic Wikibase – Makes data stored with Wikidata available in Semantic MediaWiki
- WikiDB – Provides database features, somewhat similar to semantic properties
- How to use data on Wikimedia projects