User:SPage (WMF)/old/Onboarding new Wikipedians-Engineering
- Notes on early iteration of GettingStarted from December 2012.
en:Special:GettingStarted presents the page, but also hooks successful account creation to:
- change the title slightly
- show w:MediaWiki:gettingstarted-msg with Agora CSS
- turn the "returnto" link into an Agora button
- use HTML5 browser push state to change the URL shown from Special:Userlogin?type=signup&action=submit to Special:GettingStarted
array( &$user, &$injected_html ) );
this is where CentralAuth puts up its row of icons
array( &$onboarding_msg, &$injected_html )
This is where extensions can supply a custom message; GettingStarted points to w:MediaWiki:gettingstarted-msg.
Is there any interaction with the new account creation API from Tyler Romeo that Terry approved for core?
- probably not.
The "return to [Page]" problemEdit
If on account creation the user goes straight to GettingStarted , we want it to have a nice Agora button saying
- [ No thanks, back to Page I was on before account creation]
But the current piece of HTML
<p id="mw-returnto"> Return to [[Page I was on]]. </p>
is generated by core code firstname.lastname@example.org added to the page by Special:Userlogin. As the comment in E3Experiments/experiments/onboarding/welcomecreation.js notes:
- This link is generated by OutputPage::addReturnTo() which hardcodes message 'returnto', which in English is "Return to $1."
- Besides specials/Userlogin.php, addReturnTo() is also called by SpecialChangeEmail.php, SpecialMobileFeedback.php, SpecialEditWatchlist.php, FileDeleteForm.php, etc.
To get this to be a button in Special:GettingStarted
- core code needs to supply the information to the redirect in query strings. It was already
- Extension:Onboarding should implement a similar makeReturnButton , so that this could be offered to OutputPage as more of the site gets Agora-fied.
- unlike addReturnTo(), the text around the link should be a passed-in message