< User:OrenBochman | Search
It is usefull to asses project risk (in development) that could cause the project to fail achieving its goals in a timely basis.
- aproving/paches fixes within a week of thier submission.
- adressing bug within a month of thier being opened.
- releasing new version every three months.
1. resources manegment - the project is run by volanteersEdit
- availability is limited. (working hours)
- time is limited. (total time available)
- skill set is limited (ops,dev,labs,production,search,php,robots) etc.
- interest is limited.
- Ask wiki project leaders about this.
- list required resources and be in have contingency taks assignees.
- use a surgery model (expert mngr + specialist) rather than as orchestra model (expert team).
2. Environment ComplexityEdit
the environment is complex and undocumented
- Web Dev
- Jenkins CI
- IRC + mail for coordination
- Local Environment:
- JDK 1.6
- Eclipse on local box
- Apache Maven
- Apache Ant
- PHP editing tools
- WAMP XAMPP
- MW (trunk)
- Simple English db import (current version)
- Search Extensions
- Jenkins CI
- Testing Environment (Labs)
- Virtulization Layer
- IP mapping in and out of virtualization adds an extra layre of complexity
- Production machines for search
- Cache access
The environment is (too/uncessseraly) complex to test properly as is.
- sys-ops know about setting up MW and less about the Dev side.
- environment is shell based - requiring scripting capabilities.
- it has OS dependent code which breaks protability.
- it has cluster specific features which are hard to test
- poor documentation
OverHead Eats GoodwillEdit
- it it possible to that overhead unrelated to development will consume goodwill/ available time.
- it may not be possible to take over the code is it is badly documented.
- it may be too complex to refacor to SOLR
- unit test configuration is undocumented.
- benchmarking is also tricky.
- integration on different os cluster setup need to be tested/
- it may not be possible to setup an environment to test it
- it may not be possible to upgrade without causing catastophic change
- it may not be possible to