User:Dan-nl/Developing extensions for Wikimedia wikis
This page is currently a draft.
Below is a rough outline of the steps needed in order to deploy an extension onto a Wikimedia wiki.
Show community supportEdit
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed, if applicable
Community Support can be shown by having an active discussion on the need of the extension on a Wikiproject and document the responses. If there is no active community support, support can be build through discussions and proposals.
Request a component in BugzillaEdit
Create a tracking bugEdit
Once the new component in Bugzilla has been created, create a tracking bug for the deploy.
Create Extension: pageEdit
- Create an Extension:<Your extension> page on mediawiki.org
Create Help:Extension: pageEdit
- Create a Help:Extension:<Your extension> on mediawiki.org for the end user documentation
Get code in GerritEdit
- Request (and respond to) code review(s) in Gerrit, resulting in an Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Depending on the complexity of the code this may go through several cycles of development before an MVP is ready.
- Request a design review, if applicable
Performance and Architecture reviewEdit
- Request (and respond to) a performance/arch review
- Request (and respond to) a security review