Topic on Project:Support desk

[RESOLVED] Some Special: pages won't display in version 1.22.2 Apache Win 7

Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

MediaWiki 1.22.2 / PHP 5.3.10 (apache2handler) / MySQL 5.5.20

Some Special:* pages won't display in version 1.22.2, especially Special:SpecialPages. The only sign of a problem is the following message in Apache error log:

[Wed Feb 12 13:08:59.451552 2014] [core:error] [pid 4052:tid 764] (20024)The given path is misformatted or contained invalid characters: [client] AH00127: Cannot map GET /wiki/Special:SpecialPages HTTP/1.1 to file

Some Special: pages seem OK such as Special:ListUsers or Special:Version, others just won't display at all.

AKlapper (WMF) (talkcontribs)
Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

OK. Turning on php errors gave me nothing, so I enabled a debug log file which gave me this:

I don't really know what I'm looking at, is there anything there?

Ciencia Al Poder (talkcontribs)
Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

Thanks for your reply. I agree it may be a Windows problem, but I had already reviewed the page you suggested and ruled it out for the following reasons:

  1. The problem occurs even when not using short URLs. The same debug output is produced.
  2. Only some Special: pages are not working (see my first post).
  3. Problem does not occur with version 1.21.1.
  4. Problem does not occur with the same wiki on Vista.
  5. Problem still occurs when the mediawiki installation is moved to a FAT32 partition.

Here is sample debug output from Vista which is different from the Win 7 debug output I posted above:

Ciencia Al Poder (talkcontribs)

Sadly, the original error Cannot map GET /wiki/Special:SpecialPages HTTP/1.1 to file is not a MediaWiki error. There are lots of people getting this error on WAMP (google:AH00127) and not only for MediaWiki, but for other PHP applications as well (wordpress, etc)

I haven't found a solution for this neither.

Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

I understand the original error is not a MediaWiki error, but it seems apparent from the debug log outputs above that this error is being caused by MediaWiki not completing the page generation. It appears to be crapping out at or after:

Unstubbing $wgAuth on call of $wgAuth::allowPasswordChange from SpecialPasswordReset::canChangePassword

because there are not debug log entries after that one for the failure condition.

Not seeing:

Request ended normally

In the debug log for the failure condition.

Ciencia Al Poder (talkcontribs)

This issue is reported at bugs . On this report, it's caused when a require() is done on a ntfs junction. That might explain why there are some entries on the debug log, until PHP hits that bug and apache comes with this odd message.

Maybe upgrading WAMP or using a different version of WAMP may solve this issue.

Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

Thanks for your reply. That's very interesting, but I'm not sure it's the same problem for the following reasons:

  1. I'm not using an NTFS junction, or any special NTFS file/directory types in the MediaWiki installation.
  2. The problem still occurs even with the MediaWiki installation located on a FAT32 partition.
  3. The php errors shown in the php bug report are nowhere to be seen.

I've tried Apache 2.4.1, 2.4.4, and 2.4.7 with all having the same problem. If you still think it's worthwhile, I could try a different version of PHP.

Canuckdev (talkcontribs)

That's it! Thanks for all your most patient advice. Updated php to latest 5.3 branch and all is well again in my windows wiki world.