Team Practices Group/Scrum Sprint Retrospective
This page is obsolete. It is being retained for archival purposes. It may document extensions or features that are obsolete and/or no longer supported. Do not rely on the information here being up-to-date.
This page is currently a draft.
Purpose: The Sprint Retrospective is a soapbox for people to talk about what's working well, what's not working well, and in some cases, what is confusing. It serves as a time to pause in the development (sprint) cycle and reflect on how things went and learn from them. This meeting helps identify steps for specific improvements.
What it's not for:
- technical deep dives
- planning (there is a separate meeting for this)
- nonconstructive complaining
- blame and judgement
Before the RetrospectiveEdit
- Set up retrospective collaboration tools (like etherpad)
- Make sure velocity metrics are up to date
- Note who will/won't be there
During the RetrospectiveEdit
- State what meeting is for, share guidelines (e.g. http://www.retrospectives.com/pages/retroPrimeDirective.html)
- Keep unofficial business (who was absent, velocity review) to a minimum (10 minutes rule-of-thumb)
- Review previous action items from the last Retro, determine if each is done
- Ask team to write down what's been working well, what hasn't, what's confusing (5 minute timebox, 1 minute warning)
- Briefly review what worked well, and celebrate!
- Review what didn't work well and what is confusing in order to clarify and give any additional context
- Keep it brief and clear per item. Time for action items comes later.
- Vote in order to prioritize items: 3 votes each, voting on what didn't work well and what is confusing
- Identify top three items and isolate (WMF teams move them to bottom of etherpad section)
- With the team, identify actions to take to improve the item in question; make action as specific as possible and identify an owner
After the RetrospectiveEdit
- Move (etherpad) notes to their (wiki) archive
- Distill action items and email them to the team mailing list with link to (wiki) archive notes
- Check in with team about action items if needed