MediaWiki Stakeholders' November News Roundup
Author: Chris Koerner
|People: Samuel Lampa, Yaron Koren,|
|Tags: News, Events, Mediawiki Release|
Hello! Here's another incomplete round up of activities involving MediaWiki and the surrounding community. Edits and additions are welcome.
- MediaWiki saw both a bug fix release (1.29.1) but also a security please for it and 1.28 and 1.27)
- Semantic MediaWiki saw the release of 2.5.5 since the last round up in August.
- The Maps extension has seen a significant update with version 5.0 and shortly after 5.1.0.
- Updates to the Semantic Results Format (release notes) is also a recent development to keep your eye on!
- Samuel Lampa from the RDFIO project shared a read-made virtual machine with "the latest MediaWiki, SMW and RDFIO installed"
- RDFIO also saw its 3.0.0 release
- Hallo Welt, makers of BlueSpice MediaWiki have written some useful articles bout Mediawiki skins and related tools:
- Semantic MediaWiki Conference (SMWCON) in Rotterdam happened!
- HHVM announced plans to focus on Hack, MediaWiki support was discussed in September.
- The Wikimedia Technical Committee (TechCom) has a newsletter called the TechCom Radar you can subscribe to for meeting notes.
- Speaking of newsletters the Technical Collaboration team has started a brief newsletter showcasing individual software developments as they happen.
- Not to talk too much about work, but the developer relations team is piloting the use of Discourse as a developer support channel. Primarly for developers new to the Wikimedia/MediaWiki movement.
- Yaron Koren, long-time developer and MediaWiki consultant, recently started a new job with Genesys. Congrats to Yaron and we look forward to hear more on what this means for his extensions and the broader MediaWiki community.
- A new MediaWiki forum was created by Ryan Schmidt (Skizzerz)